Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts in System Landscape Directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I got some basic doubts in SLD.

Why do we need to store the information about the installed products and to be installed products in software catalog?

And, what is this techncal system?

After reading few help sites, what I understand is the following:

For example SAP is a product and CRM etc are the software components. We create the technical system for this product like for client 100 we create a technical system and for client 200 we create another technical system. And we give some logical names, called business sytems, to these technical systems.

My second question is, why do we need to create all these information(the information in SLD)? Why cant we directly create messages types, message interfaces etc and configure them in Integration directory without using the information in SLD like business system?

In Integration Directory, we say that the sender is one Business System and receiver is another business system. These business system are created based on some technical systems. These technical systems are based on some software components and product. This product and the software component might be a installed or non installed product. Then how do we can get the connection between the sender and the business system? Can you please explain me the idea behind considering the sender and reciever as business systems.

Can anybody please clear the above doubts?

Priya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

SAP XI has different components for design time and runtime.

1. Integration Builder (Repository and Directory)

2. SLD

3. Integration Server (Runtime - Integration Engine,Adapter Engine and BPE)

4. Different system which are connected to exchange data

Again the Runtime has two basic component ABAP Stack and JAVA stack.

All these components need to speak to each other for exchange of data/ Information. SLD component helps in doing that.

We create one Technical system for a single application (SAP System).

We create one business system each for different client for the same application system.

Hope this helps in giving some clarity.

Regards

Vijaya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Priya

To Question 2 why do we need a SLD at all..I would say SAP XI probably is one of the few Middlewares in the market which provides a way to document all the Systems integrated in your landscape.SLD serves as this repository by acting as central point of registering the various SAP/Non SAP systems in your environment.

But to the question whether it is necessary to configure SLD for non SAP systems, well its a matter of choice.You can still declare them as a Business service and get away.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

<u><b>SLD:</b></u>

The System Landscape Directory of SAP NetWeaver (SLD) serves as a central information repository for your system landscape. A system landscape consists of a number of hardware and software components that depend on each other with regard to installation, software updates, and demands on interfaces.

- so talking about the working of an SLD, here if any information is required for the integration server regarding the systems(logical or physical) and the software (installed products) it refers to the SLD.

- to tell you about the other features it has....it captures the dimensions of the system landscape like solution dimension, transport dimension and technical dimension.

- putting it in short XI IS A CLIENT OF SLD

Also go thru this link and understand more about SLD <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/31/f0ff69551e4f259fdad799a229363e/frameset.htm">System Landscape Directory</a>

<u>

<b>SOFTWARE CATALOG:</b></u>

The SLD contains a Software Catalog of all installable SAP products and software components. The Software Catalog includes information about support packages and dependencies between the products and software components. This information is the basis for the description of the system landscape.

Also go thru this link and understand more about Software Catalog <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/a2/2999ef97ea2b4790165f9ca5c05c41/content.htm">Software Catalog</a>

<u><b>TECHNICAL SYSTEM, BUSINESS SYSTEMS, SOFTWARE PRODUCTS:</b></u>

Technical system correlates the software to the physical host on which it is installed

Or in other words Technical systems are application systems that are installed in your system landscape.

- they are actually the basis for defining the business systems.

- we assign a technical system to a business system to help the SLD make the appropriate association.

- the software products used by the business system are got from the technical system definition.

- to note 1 technical system can have more than one business system assigned to it....and as told the SLD make the appropriate association between them.

Also go thru this link and understand more about each of it:

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/24/8fa93e08503614e10000000a114084/content.htm">Technical Systems</a>

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/42/c817d9d2296bb2e10000000a1553f6/content.htm">Business Systems</a>

<a href="/people/sap.india5/blog/2005/11/03/xi-software-logistics-1-sld-preparation Preparation</a>

Regards,

Abhy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

"Why do we need to store the information about the installed products and to be installed products in software catalog?"

If we have access to the information about products and components in one place, it will help us in deciding if they are re-usable, how they are dependent on each other and also when we need to make certain changes to the systems or products, the changes will easily get reflected wherever we need to use them...instead of manually making the changes to the system wherever it is being used..besides, a grouping and consolidating technique is generally helpful anytime!

"And, what is this techncal system?"

We already have a set of pre-defined technical systems that we use in SAP. but, apart from that any application system (third-party) that we use will have to be given a name in the SLD (which basically is behaving like a library for all things that are being used in SAP). Hene, we create technical systems whenever we are using a third party application system.

"For example SAP....called business sytems, to these technical systems"

Well Priya, I think you have got the client concept a bit wrong...clients are created specific to every technical(application) system. And for every client a business system created in the SLD..

"SAP is a product and CRM etc are the software components."

CRM is also a product and can have many clients inside it..based on the business requirement...a client is not exactly created for every product..you can have many clients under one product of SAP..

"My second question is, why do we need to create all these information(the information in SLD)? Why cant we directly create messages types, message interfaces etc and configure them in Integration directory without using the information in SLD like business system?"

We can just create one message type, etc in the IR..but a company which is implementing SAP will obviously not be implementing SAP just once...there is bound to be expansion later on...and so, you will need to know for which product and for what business need these have been created...! If they are re-usable, etc..

Regards,

Sushumna

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Priya,

<i>In Integration Directory, we say that the sender is one Business System and receiver is another business system. These business system are created based on some technical systems. These technical systems are based on some software components and product. This product and the software component might be a installed or non installed product. Then how do we can get the connection between the sender and the business system? Can you please explain me the idea behind considering the sender and reciever as business systems.</i>

Technical System : Points to some SAP Installation with all Clients of that system.

Business System : Points to a particular client of your Technical System.

Technical Systems are not based on Products and Software Components. In fact, products and software components are jsut a means of grouping all your objects created in the IR and ID.

<i>We create the technical system for this product like for client 100 we create a technical system and for client 200 we create another technical system</i>

you will have just one technical system and all clients will be included under this technical sytem.

the reason for creating a Business System specific to a client of a technical system is so that data can be exchanged between the client and XI.

Regards,

Bhavesh

PS : All this desription might not be technically perfect , but is sure a way to understand the SLD of XI better.