cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item categories

Former Member
0 Kudos

For a specific type of order, the salepeople can change the item category so as to allow a purchase request to be created. The client though needs to have a better control of there purchase requisitions.

If the sales people change the item category I have to find a user exit so as to make a check if the quantity required is available in the stock not to allow the purchase requisition to be created.

Can you help regarding the user exit and the tables that I should use?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sarthak_mohantysd
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

For a specific type of order, the sales people can change the item category 
so as to allow a purchase request to be created. The client though needs 
to have a better control of there purchase requisitions. If the sales people 
change the item category I have to find a user exit so as to make a check 
if the quantity required is available in the stock not to allow the purchase 
requisition to be created. Can you help regarding the user exit and the 
tables that I should use?

Could you please explain your business scenario in details so that there is proper background of scenario in which you are working ?

If you essentially want to prevent the Item category being changed at Sales Order level then, kindly go to the t-code VOV4 and in process of item category determination i.e

SALES ORDER TYPE + ITEM CAT + USAGE + HIGH LEVEL ITEM CAT = DEFAULT, MANUAL

Remove the entries maintained in the Maunal Column field so that when the Sales Order is process only automatic item category determination shall take place and manual changes won't be accepted.

Hope this advice actually helps you !!

Regards,

Sarthak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me explain the issue.

There are some materials that are not kept in stock. At the moment, if the sales person creates a sales order with this item, a purchase requisition is created and the flow continues to purchace order, goods received, delivery, goods issue, invoice, payment.

This is done because the material is not kept in stock. There are a couple cases that for some reason, the material is in stock (maybe there has been a return). At this point I need to implement an extra check point. If the sales person creates a sales order the systme suggests as an item category, the one that checks the inventory. There are a couple of sales people though, that despite they find the requested quantity at stock, they change the item category and a purchase requisition is being created. I need to check and not allow the sales person to change the item category if there is stock quantity and allow changes to item categories only in case that there is no stock.

That is the reason that I though, I could use a user exits to implement this so as to make this check. I don't know if there is any better and easier way. If not could anyone suggest the best user exit and the table of MM that I should use.

sarthak_mohantysd
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

Thanks for your quick response in providing the proper background !!

The right way of tackling your requirement would be as below:

1. Identify all those item Categery for which Manual changes are not allowed as per business.

2. Go to the T-code VOV4, Remove the Manual entries Column such that only automatic values of item category comes up.

3. In this way you can prevent changing of item category at Sales Order level.

Please try it out this suggestion and let me know if your requirement is well handled.

Regards,

Sarthak

PS: Automatic Item Category Determination follows the below logic.

SALES ORDER TYPE + ITEM CAT + USAGE + HIGH LEVEL ITEM CAT = DEFAULT

sarthak_mohantysd
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

1. Identify all those item Categery for which Manual changes are not allowed as per business.

2. Go to the T-code VOV4, Remove the Manual entries Column such that only automatic values of item category comes up.

Please try it out this suggestion and let me know if your requirement is well handled.

Regards,

Sarthak

sarthak_mohantysd
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

Regards,

Sarthak

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think standard item category config would satisfy the requirements here.

I believe custom solution is required. If you want to stop the user during document change, then u-exit is the place where the logic should be applied.

Only that I would base it on the availability check results in sales order. Instead of implementing additional logic for dynamic checking the stocks etc. within u-exit.

Regards,

Dominik Modrzejewski

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

do you have availability check activated as sales order level?

And what is your expected result if the user tries to modify the item category when stock is available - not to allow him/her change the category - raise error message? Or save the document with different category, but do not trigger any requisition?

Generally, instead of playing with user authorisations, I'd rather target of having automatic solution. If stock unavailable, then trigger the requisition. So that users do not have to control this manually.

Regards,

Dominik Modrzejewski