Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRM-MDM catalog 3.0 - Installation Process

former_member189462
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm in the process of installing SRM-MDM catalog 3.0 but I'm not sure about the correct installation process.

The SRM-MDM catalog 3.0 installation guide indicates that the following instances are mandatory for SRM-MDM Catalog system:

1- Java system with the central instance, the central services instance, the database instance

2- MDM Server, and MDM Import Server

We have covered the first point by installing an SRM 7.0 JAVA system. Regarding the second requirement, I have some doubts in the way it should be completed. What we did so far was to install the SRM-MDM catalog 3.0 from the MDM 7.1 installation master. So, we now have two MDM server instances: MDS and MDIS.

I'm stuck now. I'm not sure on how to connect my SR-MDM system to the JAVA DB (created in step 1) to create a new MDM schema within it. This makes me wonder if I've followed the correct process. Could you please clarify and explain which steps should be performed to get my SRM-MDM system up and running? Actually my main concern is..Should I first install a MDM system as it's described in MDM IG, and after that perform the installation of the SRM-MDM catalog as I've already done in step 2?

Hope being clear enough I'll wait for your suggestions.

Thanks and regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Diego.

Just to add to Masa's reply.

1. After installing the Java system, make sure you deployed the Catalog UI SCA and MDM Java API Connector.

Deployment process is explained clearly in the Installation Guide

2. Once you have the MDM Iandscape(MDM Server, MDM Import Server, MDM Console, MDM Data Manager etc) and DB

landscape ready, you have to unarchive the repository provided in the installation package. After unarchiving it, you can load

the repository

3. Now you can connect to the configuration UI using the below link and check if you are able to login to the repository.

http://j2eeservername:portnumber/SRM-MDM/SRM_MDM

Let me know if you need more info

Regards

Bala

former_member189462
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks both for your response, but I'm new installing SRM-MDM catalog and I'm still not sure about the whole installation process. According to Masau2019s email what is described in the step1 it has been already fulfilled by me as it was described in step 2 of my first question. MDS and MDIS have been installing as a part of the catalog 3.0 installation.

Now, Could you please provide me with more details on the steps described in point 2 (Masau2019s email) to connect my SRM-MDM catalog DB to the JAVA DB...and create then the required schema? Iu2019ve never performed this process before.

According to your responses. These are steps and their order:

1- Install MDM and MDI servers as a part of the SRM-MDM catalog 3.0 installation Master u2013 DONE

2- Deploy of the Search UI on any AS Java server u2013 SRM JAVA in my case.

3- Unarchive the repository provided in the installation package. After unarchiving it, load the repository.

4- Connect to the configuration UI using the below link and check if you are able to login to the repository.

http://j2eeservername:portnumber/SRM-MDM/SRM_MDM

Sorry for insisting in this point. From your response I can conclude that there is not need to install MDM 7.1 before installing SRM-MDM catalog 3.0. This product can be installed separately. If that assumption is correct, please confirm it to me.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Diego.

The Installation Note Number for SRM-MDM Catalog 3.0 is : 1177779. The recommended steps would be to follow how the Installation Guide recommends you to do so.

But still your assumption is correct. MDM landscapes and Java landscapes are both different set of categories to be installed to make the Catalog scenario to be successfull.

Step 1: Make sure you have the back end database server(SQL/Oracle/???) is installed.

Step 2: Make sure all the MDM components(MDS, MDIS, etc) is installed.

Step 3: Make sure Java WebAS is installed correctly.

Step 4: Now deploy the Catalog SCA and MDM Connector deployed in the Java WebAS.

Step 5: You can unarchive and load the repository.

Step 6: Try to launch the catalog using the URL provided to check and make sure if the connection is fine.

Also what Masa has mentioned is the communication path how the whole process is achieved technically and that doesn't mean that it has to be in the same order which he has mentioned. The below sequence is just an path to describe how the communication is achieved technically.

User -> Browser(Search UI deployed on AS Java) -> (Java API on AS Java) -> MDM Server -> MDM Repository -> DB

Relating Masa's path with the above steps

User ->

Browser(Search UI deployed on AS Java) -> Step 3 and 4

(Java API on AS Java) -> Step 3 and 4

MDM Server -> Step 2

MDM Repository -> Step5

DB-> Step 1

Hope this helps.

Regards

Bala

Edited by: chandar_sap on Aug 30, 2010 6:16 PM

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Configuration Guide is also available in SAP Solution Manager or offline downloaded version in SAP Service Marketplace.

http://service.sap.com/srm-inst

Regards,

Masa

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

SRM-MDM Catalog has additional Search UI (WebDynpro Java) besides NetWeaver MDM.

1. Install MDS and MDIS from SRM-MDM Catalog installation kit

2. Deploy the Search UI on any AS Java server

Communication path is like this.

User -> Browser(Search UI deployed on AS Java) -> (Java API on AS Java) -> MDM Server -> MDM Repository -> DB

Regards,

Masa