Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conceptual doubt regarding ECC and MDM data flow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts!

I have two doubts on which i request your kind guidance,they are-

1.I have a scenario in which SAP MDM is used to create data and created or modified data is syncronised with SAP ECC.Now once I create a material record in SAP MDM and I wish to maintain its forecast and quality views too,so i maintain these in ECC.Now if I make changes to the same record in SAP MDM will it give an error if I try to send those changes to SAP ECC as those views might also have mandatory fields,which are not maintained in SAP MDM?

2.What is best way to check if there is a PO/PR active when deleting a material from SAP MDM or how can I check if GRN exists when changing QM view for material master.i undertsand it can be done as a part of workflow as a user check,kindly provide other possibilities.

Thanks in advance!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello rav343

1) i don't know how you organize exchange between SAP MDM and SAP ECC

Using MDSS and MDIS - generation inbound/outbound files (automatically or manually) - easiest way.

You can use PI(XI) for transport generated files or got its directly from SAP ECC.

You can use MDM API(s) for connect to mdm repository.

In your automatic scenario you can use next algorithm

if outbound file come in - read it and check data in SAP ECC

if that data upsent save it in SAP ECC

If data is already present - chek it by modification

if modification process was finished

a)you should generate inbound file with special formate

product_id, message

where is error message - message for spesial field in your repository

may have different values (something as "OK", "Error modify", "found data" somthing ets.)

mdis will import that fiel automatically

b) connect to repository through ABAP API and modify message field- without file generation

you can create special validation for check message

2) by default you can not delete related data from MDM without detete its in SAP ECC

ABAP development and MDM ABAP API can help you in that case

Regards

Kanstantsin Chernichenka

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rav

1.I have a scenario in which SAP MDM is used to create data and created or modified data is syncronised with SAP ECC.Now once I create a material record in SAP MDM and I wish to maintain its forecast and quality views too,so i maintain these in ECC.Now if I make changes to the same record in SAP MDM will it give an error if I try to send those changes to SAP ECC as those views might also have mandatory fields,which are not maintained in SAP MDM?

It will not give error messages. A material can be created in ECC with only basic data and remaining views like MRP, QM view etc can be updated standalone. This all depends on ECC side configurations. Also we can trigger a SAP workflow withing ECC once the basic data has been created in ECC upon data syndication from MDM. This workflow can take care of updating the QM and Forecast views.

2.What is best way to check if there is a PO/PR active when deleting a material from SAP MDM or how can I check if GRN exists when changing QM view for material master.i undertsand it can be done as a part of workflow as a user check,kindly provide other possibilities.

You can use RFC calls to ECC before deleting a Material master record from MDM to check if any active PO/PR exists. again this has to be called from portal/part of workflow as MDM doesnot support RFC calls alone.

Hope this helps-Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for very informative reply!

Can you please tell me more about how to maintain other views in ECC once basic data has been created in MDM,also can you please tell me the steps involved.

Thanks

Rav343

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rav

Design purely depends on the business needs.You can follow similar steps below-

1. MDM will contain the Material Basic Data, global attributes. Attributes for QM and Forecast view will not be part of MDM but will be maintained in ECC.

2. Only approved material record will be syndicated to ECC which can be controlled via a workflow and integrated with UWL in portal.

3. Portal also controls the SAP workflow which is triggered each time a Materail record has been created or updated in ECC after syndication from MDM.

4.SAP Business workflows are used to route the request and approval process for QM view and Forecasting data. The workflow items will be exposed to the EP UWL using the plug in configurations so that end user need not to go to multiple In boxes to work on various steps of the Material Master management.

As the Basic data is managed in SAP MDM, it should not be managed in ECC directly. To control this Variant transactions are used to avoid basic data edit in ECC while allowing the Qm and forecasting data edit.

thanks-Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi!!

Thanks for your input!

Can you please tell are all the views or some fields from all the views maintained in the current business content of SP 04?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rav

SOme of the fields/views provided in Business content for Material Master are-

1. basic data views- Mat Group, Mat type, Division, Prod Hierarchy, Description, Basic Mat, EAN numbers, UoMs, and so on. In fact all fields of Basic data 1 and 2 are fully supported.

2. Qualified tables for Plants, SAles Org supported- Not sure on the exact fields.

I would suggest that you download the std business content for Material and unarchive the a2a file to actually see the MDM repository structre, what fields are supported.

Thanks-Ravi