Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Upgrade checklist

shweta_walaskar2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a planned upgrade from XI3.0 to PI7.1 and we need to provide an estimation of efforts for support during upgrade.

Unfortunately,we don't have experience for such upgrade.

Also,currently our Seeburger version is 1.7.4,please let us know if this needs to be upgraded as well.If this is the case,which version would be compatible with PI7.1?

Can anyone please provide a checklist of the activities need to be performed or a link where we can get such a document?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Shweta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone please provide a checklist of the activities need to be performed or a link where we can get such a document?

Lots of blogs / posts you can find on SDN as this has been discussed many a times in the past. To start with -

Also,currently our Seeburger version is 1.7.4,please let us know if this needs to be upgraded as well.If this is the case,which version would be compatible with PI7.1?

No need to upgrade the Seeburger.

shweta_walaskar2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Sorry to raise a new thread but I am basically looking for effort estimation from an application point of view.

For installation and Basis related activities,we have Basis team who would be taking care of estimation for administrative tasks.

I would like to know the things that need to be tested,like what would be the impact on existing mappings(as some standard functions as well as RFC lookup functions need to be adjusted)

What all need to be tested from application point of view?How can we take backup of existing mappings?(function library,etc.)

Taking such factors into consideration,do we have such a checklist?

Please share your knowledge on this.

Thanks.

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shweta,

Your requirement is very broad. The time estimation may vary depending upon how many scenarios you are having in your existing system.

Apart from checking the connection with other systems (which I am sure your Basis team will do), make sure to test

1. XSL mappings (use "XML Toolkit option" in interface mapping if using Java functions);

2. Java proxy - re-compile and test;

3. ABAP proxy - no need to re-generate;

4. Graphical mappings - better to test them.

Fact is that it is better to test most of the critical interfaces after the upgrade.

shweta_walaskar2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks.

Sorry to ask so many questions,but migration of scenarios will be done one by one.How does this take place?

I hope,our mappings will still be usable.We extensively use RFC lookups,what will happen to such UDFs?

Also,we use CMS for transport,and that would change to CTS,is this correct?

Thanks.

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry to ask so many questions,but migration of scenarios will be done one by one.How does this take place?

No worries, that's why we have this forum

migration of scenarios will be done one by one.How does this take place?

Best approach is to migrate non-SAP to non-SAP interfaces; it will be best to implement a single scenario first with all of its attendant interfaces. This could be migrated and tested very quickly. This would offer a high probability of success with low risk.

If this was not a migration project, then an alternative, of course, is to leave the scenarios as they are during the migration and promotion to production, and then to create a new version of the scenario objects and test the new features in that version. This would definitely be the recommendation if the existing system were being directly upgraded. Since they are being migrated, however, it would be easy to test the new feature in a development or sandbox system during the migration.

I hope,our mappings will still be usable.We extensively use RFC lookups,what will happen to such UDFs?

There shouldn't be any issues with RFC lookups. You can still re-use the same UDFs.

Also,we use CMS for transport,and that would change to CTS,is this correct?

CTS+

shweta_walaskar2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks a lot for such a nice explanation.

I hope ,we would be able to handle it without much issues.

I would keep the thread open to post questions which would come in between.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Shweta

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shweta,

It would depend on how many systems you are trying to upgrade...typically it takes 2 months for 6-8 systems (Including testing, here make sure you are just testing/comparing the pre-upgrade and post-upgrade xml's...the time line is based on this sort of testing...not for end-to-end testing)

for PI 7.1 you need to upgrade Seeburger supported version of BIS 2.1.3...

Thanks,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Srinivas,

for PI 7.1 you need to upgrade Seeburger supported version of BIS 2.1.3...

For SP 8 and EhP 1 only, 2.x version is required. If SP version is lower than 8, then it's still compatible with older version of Seeburger.

GabrielSagaya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This wiki could be useful for you

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Snippets/ApplyNote1172942+automatically