cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

abstraction/ tailoring of standard enterprise services

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we use standard SAP services modeled in the ESR. In a middle layer (CAF in our case) we abstract the fields we need.

I was wondering if it's not better to have an abstraction layer in the backend as well (or replace the CAF with backend abstraction layer), because all data in the service is transfered every time to the CAF.

Isn't it better to limit the data that is retrieved from the backend system or is it possible to configure the backend standard services to limit the data that is transfered?

kind regards,

Pieter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then it's only available as of NW 7.02? In our 7.01 system I can't find the option.

kind regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it's only available as of NW 7.02.

Depending on what your actual requirements are (i.e. You always want to limit the response structure or only in certain cases) then you can version your operation/s (one for a detailed response & one for a not so deailed response). So you would add an additional field (e.g. indicator for detailed or summary response) in the request structure apply some delta logic in your CAF layer to decide which operation to invoke.

Then in the backend you could wrap the standard enterprise service in a custom proxy for each operation & you would get the desired abstration. It's a very unattractive approach though.

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pieter,

I think it's also better to do the abstraction in the backend, 'Service Variants' is what you're looking for.

See previous discussion here:

[;

Regards, Trevor