Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED FOR FPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Have a query, when and why to use FPM?

As there are UI elements like Road Map and Phase Indicator to show the process step as like in Guided Activity Floorplan

There is TAB UI Element to show tabs instead of using Object Instance Floorplan ...

Then what is the key point to decide if FPM should be used or not??

Many Thanks and Regards,

SJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wow! Big questions!

I'll try to answer, but be aware that these are my thoughts only!

1) Because then your app looks and feels like SAP's app

I think this is important - as it means that your users have consistency in the look and feel of all their application, from SAP and custom developed. This in turn means less user training and greater user acceptance. And if the FPM framework is enhanced - you benefit from it and you don't need to do any work to make your apps look like SAP's again.

2) AJAX

The way that the FPM implements each UIBB in a separate view means that each view is rendered and updated separately. So an update in on UIBB is sent to the browser separately from the other UIBBs displayed - this limited AJAX functionality should give you better performance for end user experience.

3) Enhanceablity

By merely adding some configuration it is easy to change which UIBBs are in an application. You can reasonably easily swap out a standard UIBB and add in your own - or add your own to a standard application. Now you could do this via developments too - but this is easy! It is also easy to make your components reusable and plug them into multiple apps. You don't have to use the FPM to do this of course - ALV isn't an UIBB and is an excellent example of a reusable component. But by using the FPM framework you have a pre-built set of interfaces with which your UIBB can communicate with other UIBBs and remain agnostic of their environment.

(snip due to formatting restrictions on large posts)

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

(continued - cut due to formatting issues)

4) Flexiblity

The FPM is designed to allow a great level of programatic flexibility in adding to, removing steps, validating if a component is "dirty", handling complex event handling behaviour (e.g. not just process event, but additional methods when all components have finished processing events and flag that event was/was not successfully processed. ) To build this all from scratch is a large effort. (I can attest to this having done exactly that to embed a secondary FPM app inside the standard FPM in WDJ).

To decide when to use FPM

I'd say if you are going to build an app that has any kind of complexity, build it in FPM. If you app is going to take less than a day to build - then perhaps FPM is overkill - but then again back to point 1. I always build in FPM because I find that no matter how simple the app starts out being, I eventually need/want some of the functionality that the FPM offers me - and it's easier not to have to retrofit the app to FPM. But I'm pretty experienced with the framework, so for me, it is simpler to use it. If you have no experience it is going to be a steep learning curve and your first development will take time. But, in my opinion, it's time well spent! - for a start you'll be able to figure out how to debug all the standard SAP applications that are going to be delivered using the FPM!

There are still some sessions on the FPM at TechEd - it's worth thinking about these if you're going - they should cover these points in much more detail!

Hope this helps you,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for the last answer, have one more query...

What should be the criteria to decide, if new window should be created for every new view or new view can just be embed in existing window?

Regards and Thanks,

SJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sushil

Pls. refer the below link

Regards,

Amar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply....

Request your support to understand the below question...

• I have Three Component C1, C2 and C3.

C3 componnet has specific functionality "Road map" that needs to be reused in component C1 and C2, can i mark the C3 components as public and map the component in C1 and C2 in WD4A?

Where will i have to write the methods to perform the same functionality as in C3.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> new window should be created for every new view or new view can just be embed in existing window?

if you are using the FPM and you want to change the view displayed without changing the FPM state, then you will need to use view navigation within the same window, however if you are using the FPM as (I believe) it is intended to be used then any time you'd want to change view is also a change of state of the FPM, so having a new window is not a problem as it means you don't have to worry about navigation plugs within your application.

So generally when working with FPM applications I'd say 1 view to 1 window.

But of course it really depends on your requirements. There are always exceptions.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>C3 componnet has specific functionality "Road map" that needs to be reused in component C1 and C2, can i mark the C3 components as public and map the component in C1 and C2 in WD4A?

Yes - but what has this got to do with your original post? It is better for people who are searching the forums in the future that each thread sticks to only one topic - this is indeed part of the "Rules of Engagement"

>- Only One Question Per Posting

>For each question that you have, make a separate posting. Don't ask multiple questions in one posting, this is confusing for people and might not get answered, since the subject line does not reflect all your problems. If a new and unrelated question comes up during a thread, start a new thread.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for the answering right on target, you are a STAR...

I will keep this thread open for a whil for other to answer. Hope can speak to you some time.

Thanks,

SJ