cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R/3 4.7 Unicode upgrade query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a very specific and unique query. We are implementing ESS, MSS, MBO for our clients, and in the process have upgraded the production servers to R/3 4.7 version ( Non - Unicode ). We're using EP 6.0 as the front for the same .

My question is as below :

Today the client is not interested in having interface other than english, but moving down the line after 2 years he would like to have a Korean language interface, which might require R/3 4.7 with Koran language unicode and functions converted.

What I want to know is whether this effort in upgrading to the unicode version of Korean on R/3 , before we actually implement ESS / MSS etc is better or should we upgrade to a unicode version 2 years later ?

In either case what are the advantages and disadvantages ?

Expert insight sought,

Regards,

Neeraj S.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neeraj,

Personally, I would recommend upgrading to Unicode now.

With your client there already appear to be signs that a non-unicode format is unsuitable for the longer term vision of the company...

What if this long term vision becomes a more immediate requirement and they no longer want to wait 2 years?

Additionally upgrading to unicode would mean that all custom programs would have to be made unicode compliant. This is a Particularly arduous problem if there is any hexa-decimal manipulation within the custom programs...

Within a Unicode system all programs are automatically made Unicode compliant (as long as the appropriate flag is checked in the program attributes)...

Therefore, if you can implement Unicode now then I would go for it

I hope this helps.

Hafeez