Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double byte language i.e Japanese or Chinese text in non Unicode System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have translated text into Chinese and Japanese in a Unicode system and want to move it into a non Unicode system. Would Chinese/Japanese characters display correctly in a non Unicode system when moved from Unicode system. I am doing translation in ECC60 or SAP 4.7 Unicode system and moving to SAP 4.7 non Unicode system.

Thanks

Balakrishna

1 REPLY 1

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Balakrishna,

in general the transport between Unicode and Non-Unicode systems is supported.

However there are restrictions, which are outlined in SAP note 638357.

In your case it is a prerequisite that the objects to be transported are language dependent (text lang. flag is set on the language key - see SAP note 480671) and the languages are properly setup in the target systems.

For double byte data there is a specific issue when transferring data from Unicode to Non-Unicode:

In a Non-Unicode system, one double-byte character needs two bytes, therefore e.g. in a 10 char field, 5 double byte chars are fitting. In a Unicode system, you can insert 10 double-byte chars in a 10 char field. Hence there is a risk of truncating characters in case of Unicode --> Non-Unicode communication.

Please also have a look at SAP notes 1322715 and 745030.

Best regards,

Nils