cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro an what abouth the UI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I went to Teched and off course I've seen Web Dynpro (both Java and ABAP). Besides the fact the amount of mouse clicks is very high, it could be a good tool, depending on one needs (cause I don't feel that this is miracle tool, which fits all).

My main concern is the UI in the end result. I comprehend the filosophy behind it all (client independancy, but who really needs it?), but I've some side thoughts:

- will all apps will have the EP 6ish look and feel?

Sure, one can change it (I hope so), but I think it's rather tedious when one has diffenent (complicated) house styles. Refering to EP 6, I've seen a lot of demo's and real life examples and they all look the same, sometimes with somewhat other colours, but that's it. If all would be that simple, why are the looking all the same?

- One said at Teched that it wouldn't be allowed to put any own javascripts in the code. If that's true, what should one do with own entry validation or typical CSS UI which isn't available in Web Dynpro. I don't think that SAP will make all extension that we need, since it it's surely not in the interest of their other customers.

Anny comments on this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy,

yes, all Web Dynpro apps will have the same look and feel. That´s what huge companies want to have, I think. They spend a lot of money in creating a unique CI/CD. Then they want that every internet and intranet application uses this. This request is fulfilled by Web Dynpro very well.

Web Dynpro is not made for creating funny, nice looking internet pages with a lot of javascript gimmicks. It is developed for creating high quality business applications.

If your company is looking for more individuality inside each application you should use JSPs, BSPs, PHP or whatever.

Regards

Helmut

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Helmut,

The question is then, how much effort and money one needs to spend in order to get the expensive CI/CD in a webdynpro, etc.

I'm not talking about gimmicks, but serious stuff like data validation and data entry systems.

Eddy

BeGanz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hallo Eddy,

SAP strategy is that all SAP application are presented to the user

via the SAP Enterprise portal.

As such, UI styles can be changed with the "Portal theme editor" which

is part of the Enterprise Content Administration role.

In order to overcome the fact that not all customers already have the

right version of the Enterprise Portal with the "style sheet editor"

(EP 6.0 on Web As 6.40 [part of NW04 SP Stack 09]), we will shortly

offer the style sheet editor as an unsupported stand alone tool via SDN.

In addition we will publish an article in SDN about how to adapt the theme which is used for a certain Web Dynpro iView.

Greetings, Bertram

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand the strategy of SAP, but there is also live outside EP such as stand alone web apps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can develop JSP/servlets on WAS with your own stylesheets\theme or adopt WAS stylesheets for your needs without using EP at all.

The following is the question for Bertram Ganz:

When this standalone editors would be released?

I need to edit stulesheets manually beacuse I am using rtl layouts and WD support for them is not complete yet.

Regards, Victor.

Message was edited by: Victor Shafran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy,

You are right. Even if the EP is our strategic frontend for business applications with a lot of features you can only make use of within a portal, Web applications based on Web Dynpro run without a portal as well. So the stand-alone style sheet editor is exactly made for stand alone web apps. Please stay tuned on SDN. We will release it soon.

Best regards,

Karin