cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore through hdd offline backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear all,

i have a offline whole data base backup of production system on 500gb harddisk , Now I wants to restore ( system refresh ) to another system . I have installed oracle database and central instance.

Now when I am installaing database instance with the help of system refresh document , it is asking me to restore the database

1. how i can restore the database through my harddisk.

2. all procedures are given only by tape drive restore .

pl. advice.

lettle bit step by step will be more convenient .

Edited by: Thomas croon on Aug 26, 2010 11:06 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

From ur post I infer that u r trying to install SAP using the system copy (backup/restore method) on a distributed environment.

1. Create the directory structure similar to that of the source system directories.

2. Generate the control file structure as mentioned in the section Generating the Control File Structure and copy this into the installation directory.(I hope u have done this)

3. Restore the backup from the harddisk using BRRetsore(If u have used BRBackup)

4. Then remove the contorl files.

5. Create a spfile from pfile as mentioned in the section Restoring the Database Files on the Target System with BRTools* of the system copy guide.

6. Restore using BRTools.

After this proceed as described by SAPINST.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

1. I have done offline backup of source system through db13 on ( external usb ) hard disk = Ok ?

2. CI and DB will be on same host on target system .= Ok ?

3.In system refresh document there is line

" Copy the following files from the source to the target system host either by using an

offline backup or by copying the listed files from the source directories to the target

directories "

Now how to copy ( restore ) the database file from offline backup that i have taken on hard disk from source system.

I am just asking for brrestore command to restore datafiles from offline external usb harddisk backup to target system .

thanks for your support !

Edited by: Thomas croon on Aug 26, 2010 2:57 PM

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am just asking for brrestore command to restore datafiles from offline external usb harddisk backup to target system .

Hi,

that would be:

brrestore -m full -b abcdefgh.afd -d disk

depending on how the backup was taken. You might need "-k yes" for compression in addition.

abcdefgh.afd beinig the logfile of your offline-disk-backup.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh is it ? Its simple with brtools. A backup log woud have created while backing up the database. As it is a offline backup, the backup file will be of the format <filename>.aft.

If u could locate that file, then execute brrestore -b <filename>.aft. If u have a uncompressed backup then the variable -k is not needed. Else append -k yes to the afore mentioned command.

-Varadhu...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

The way you are trying to say is import and export.. as you are trying to building your SAP system with the export of old sap system db. While instaling the DB you would like to give the path of export.. in this case you should have export of your old system's DB. It will not take the Whole system backup file to build the system.

This link would be helpfulo to understand import/export

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b070e7b4-a5ca-2c10-1dab-a4b53fd1c...

System Refresh:

As you have offline backup, system refresh would be easier compared to online backup... also you are going to restire to a newly built system there is nothing to take backup on your target as printer, user master and so on..Have a look at below link:

http://www.sap-img.com/basis/system-copy.htm

all the best !