cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP WebAS 6.40 (Java) Support Package Update

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am planning to update support package for SAP WebAS 6.40 to latest support package (eg. SP25). There should be no problem if I perform update into production server. However, we also have DR (disaster recovery) server which will be activated only during DR. During DR, we will shutdown the production server and bring up the DR server and point it to our production database.

My problem is how do I update the support package in the DR server, as I understand when we update the support package it will also have updated the database. But in DR server, it will still be using the old support package version.

Is there any way, I could update the DR server with the latest support package?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A whole offline backup restore should be fine. I dont see any reason as to why anything else is needed to be done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wai Meng,

I think your approach to DR may be inherently flawed. You're essentially using a cold spare as a DR environment and I think you're asking for trouble that way.

I'd suggest reading through the guide John posted, it's a more comprehensive approach to recovering. I'd advise against leaving a system sitting idle/off at patch level XX and never updating it until a disaster happens and you need to fail over to it. You never know what you might be using in current Prod that won't work on a previous release that's been sitting around for a couple years off-site.

-Kevin

0 Kudos

Hi Blanca,

System copy procedure seems bit complicated. The method we think to use is to replicate the whole /usr/sap folder from production server after the update of the support package into DR server. DR server will have the same usr/sap folder as production. The DR will also use the current production database. DR server also have the same structure / name as production server.

Will this work? Please advice.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe this method is fine. Its basically as outlined in Backup and Recovery of the SAP Web Application Server (Java)

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/4b/d8f23ea4b42e5ae10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Restoring the System

1. Install a new SAP Web AS Java system using SAPInst, or restore the file system from the offline backups that you created.

2. Import the database backup using the relevant tools provided by the database vendor.

3. Overwrite the SAP system directory /usr/sap/<SID>.

4. If the SDM backup is more recent than the backup of the SAP system directory, overwrite the SDM directory as well.

5. Restart the system (see Starting and Stopping the SAP System).

KR,

John

blanca_serrano
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Way Meng Leong,

You can do a system copy of the Production system in order to make DR system on the same Patch Level as Prodution.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Blanca

Edited by: Blanca Serrano on Aug 26, 2010 9:45 AM