cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned Costs by Quarter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all, does anyone have any suggestions on how we could enter planned costs per quarter for a project? I see we can enter planned costs per monthly period per cost element but not per quarter. Preferably, I would not need to use cost element planning and could simply plan overall, yearly, or quarterly per project. Thanks for the advice.

Shaun.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

Before going to implement cost planning, Pl. refer the following link of SAP Help on COST.

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/86/98853478616434e10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm]

Once you get overall brief or clear idea of different cost planning functionalities of SAP PS, based on the need of your project, you can go with cost planning : cost element Planning /Activity Type Planning / hierarchy cost planning(Overall/Yearly)/unit costing(Not relevent to period)/asynchronus network cost planning.

And we have Std Cost element and Hierarchy reports to compare the Project's Actual cost with Planned Cost.

You can compare project cost in many ways like WBS element wise, Value category wise,Period/Financial wise, Business Transaction wise and cost element wise.

And also compare project costs in different versions.

Vemula

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nitin.

We're in the beginning stages of using PS and are trying to determine the best way to plan costs. I'm wondering how the process should work. Our initial plan will be overall or per year. But at some point, we'll want to do more detailed planning per period in which case we have to reference a cost element. However, I'm told that the overall and cost element plans are added together, which would require us to zero out our initial overall cost plans.

The process is further complicated in the reporting of planned versus actual. We will plan on 1 cost element (GL) corresponding to an overall representation of costs per period. Actuals will obviously come in on multiple cost elements. I guess we need to put some thought into how our reporting will look.

Anyway, I'm interested in what some others are doing as far as their planning process is concerned. Appreciate the help.

Shaun.

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your understanding is correct. Infact planned cost per Quarter is not being supported by SAP. As of now you can plan based on monthly ( based on cost elemetn ) or overall or yearly.

With Regards

Nitin P.