cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a kernel in ABAP or Java - what is correct for 7.01 and 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are a couple ways to upgrade a kernel depending on ABAP or Java.

I want to know what is the best safest and approved way to upgrade an ABAP kernel based on 7.01 and 7.1

I don't want to miss with temporary softlinks because our consultant did that and forgot abut it, which cause a huge problem.

This is a UNIX 64 bit OS.

Thanks

Weyland Yutani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For doing ABAP kernel upgrade there plenty of resources available. You can refer the following guide for a comprehensive overview with step by step instruction of Kernel upgrade process :-

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70d8838d-cb8f-2c10-7ab8-d1504670f...

Just make sure to check the following points before starting the upgrade :-

1) Take full backup of existing Kernel directory

After taking full backup of old kernel directory, check the total no. of files in the backup kernel directory by #ls -al|wc -l & cross check same files exist in the orginal kernel directory. This should be done before starting actual kernel upgrade - just to ensure that after wiping out current kernel dir and then after applying new kernel if there is any issue & you have restore the old kernel then you are not missing any files.

2) Check the softlinks in the existing kernel directory & keep a screenshot so that after kernel upgrade you can create those links.

Use #ln -s <remote filesystems to be linked> <local file at Kernel directory>

e.g : 3> ln -s a b

sapsys 1 Aug 26 09:34 b -> a

Thus if you wish then you can create those softlinks manually. This may be required for brtools, TSM etc related softlink depending on your scenario you can recreate the links.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I agree with what Varadharajan is saying, the best way is the use JSPM, however one word of caution the JSPM does not work properly when upgrading kernel over distributed Server configuration.

For e.g. if you have your SAP App Server and Database on seperate UNIX boxes, it may not work properly.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If ur system is a dual stack, then the best method to update the kernel is to do it with the help of JSPM. The JSPM will take care of all the permissions and all. The only section where u need to concentrate is during the kernel selection based on the correct platform(64/32 bit, unicode/non-unicode, DB)

I hope this clarifies ur doubt.

Regards,

Varadharajan M