cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL Connection from within Web Application Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to write a servlet that opens a socket connection to an external secure website. The certificate signer of the secure website is a trusted CA and is available in the system wide keystore (jre/lib/security/cacerts). This servlet is hosted on Web Application Server 6.20 SP1.

When I launch this servlet, it fails to establish URl connection with the message untrusted server certificate chain. I added the debug flags and discovered that this was the result of an internal exception which was:

<b>"failed critical extension check: java.lang.Exception: Contains unknown critical extensions"</b>

The only critical extensions in the server certificate and the root certificate is the KeyUsage and BasicConstraint, both of which I believe are standard extensions.

I tried installing Sun JSSE but that did not help. When Sun JSSE is installed, a command line program can successfully connect to the secure server. However, the same code within Web Application Server 6.20 SP1 results in the above exception.

If you have encountered this problem before or a similar problem, I would appreciate your feedback in how you resolved it.

Thanks,

Arvind Prabhakar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

Have you downloaded and installed the crypto extensions from service marketplace?

Regards

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

Yes I download and installed the crypto extensions. The same extensions work within Enterprise Portal 6.0 but not with Web Application Server 6.20 SP 1 (without the Portal).

Thanks,

Arvind

former_member198228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

I have a guide on how to apply SSL to WebAS 6.20 but it is about 2MB in size and cannot email to you. Do you have access to sapmats?

Regards

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

Thanks for you offer to share the guide. I too am following the same guide. Using this guide I can setup SSL on the Web Application Server correctly.

However, the real problem is that I have a servlet that is trying to communicate to an external secure server. This servlet is hosted on Web Application Server and in process of establishing the SSL connection with the external server it fails to validate the server certificate due to the presence of critical extensions in the root CA of the remote server. This problem has nothing to do with whether SAP Web Application Server is configured to use SSL or not.

Thanks,

Arvind