cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows server 2008 R2 support

Former Member
0 Kudos

i've read the FAQ regarding windows 2003 R2 support which asks us to verify with PAM on the products which is supported. But I cant seem to find R2 being supported yet on the common sap application like ecc 6.0 and nw 7.0, which product is actually supported on r2 as of today ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per the [Note 1383873 - Windows Server 2008 R2 Support|https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1383873] SAP has a plan to release the products based on 7.02 by the end of 3rd quater. The support for other products on windos server R2 is not yet finalised.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I cannot open the note 1383873 as it is internally restricted can i get a copy of that .

The requested SAP Note is either in reworking or is released internally only

Regards

Mazher

sebastian_dusch
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

this note is currently in process.

It should be available again soon.

Best,

Sebastian Dusch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both Windows Server 2008 R2 and MS MSQL 2008 R2 are officially supported by SAP as of Mid-September 2010.

Please see the following notes: SQL Server 2008 R2 - 1076022 & Windows Server 2008 R2 - 1494740

This thread can be closed.

Thanks!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Both Windows Server 2008 R2 and MS MSQL 2008 R2 are officially supported by SAP as of Mid-September 2010.

> Please see the following notes: SQL Server 2008 R2 - 1076022 & Windows Server 2008 R2 - 1494740

This is not true.

Note 1383873 - Windows Server 2008 R2 Support

Windows 2008 R2 is not yet listed in the PAM - and hence not yet supported. The technical prerequisites are met (with a special kernel patch) but not all software is released.

See also

--> Support of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Markus,

It seems like SAP is a little slow updating there PAM site, however Microsoft has updated there's, please take a look at the below. Also there is no differences from a Kernel perspective as this update is simply a service pack update and that's the way MSFT and SAP are looking at it. I have a SolMan PRD box running on MSFT 2008 R2 technologies for both the OS and DB.

I didn't find any links for the OS side but once I do I'll post that on here unless SAP updates there site before hand.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/solutions-technologies/sap.aspx

Here's a quick response on the site:

Microsoft and SAP have been working together closely for more than 15 years to ensure that the Microsoft platform and SAP solutions work well together. The SAP certification of Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 is the technical stamp of approval of this joint work by both Microsoft and SAP. Worldwide, the number of developers who are proficient with these technologies and the adoption of SQL Server for SAP continue to grow.

Building on the previous versionu2019s capabilities, SQL Server 2008 R2 further solidifies SQL Server as enterprise-ready for SAP and leads the industry with the lowest TCO for database platforms by way of lower pricing, reduced administration overhead, built-in high availability, and scalability.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> It seems like SAP is a little slow updating there PAM site, however Microsoft has updated there's, please take a look at the below. Also there is no differences from a Kernel perspective as this update is simply a service pack update and that's the way MSFT and SAP are looking at it. I have a SolMan PRD box running on MSFT 2008 R2 technologies for both the OS and DB. .

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The kernel is different - that's what's written in the note (it is not the same as with Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 R2):

Windows 2008 - Kernel 6.0 (same as Vista)

Windows 2008 R2 - Kernel 6.1 (same as Windows 7)

From a security perspective there are changes as well as certain kernel level functions.

That your solution manager works is due to the fact, that the kernel itself had support for the R2 release added with a certain kernel patchlevel, if you check in SM51 you see "Windows 6.1" - in older versions of the kernel, most likely patch 76 and below, this is not the case and hence the system will dump with SICK after being started.

There are also changes in encryption mechanisms (comes into place when using SSO and Java applications using that functionality). Additionally there are differences with cluster setups and other small things.

I'd be careful when deploying an operating system that may technically work on the first look, there are culprits and SAP may reject support because they don't (yet) officially support it.

Markus

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

No products supported on Windows 2008R2 as of today

Support will come with release of installation media and kernel for

2008 R2

It is expected early Q4 2010.

SAP on Microsoft Windows:

regards,

John Feely