cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client export: parallelize and resume client export

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I do a client export of a SAP R/3 4.6c System (profile: SAP_ALL) => The size of the client is about 700-750 GB.

My problem is that I just know how to run the client export sequential, but this will take weeks till it is finished.

So here my questions:

1) Is it possible to parallelize a client export (SAP R/3 4.6c) without 3rd party tools?

2) Is it possible to resume a client export when it stops cause of an error or something else?

Thank you!

Edited by: Michele Posojewitsch on Aug 25, 2010 4:18 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) yes

2) yes

You probably should use SCC9 instead of SCC8. Have a look at these notes:

[489690 - CC INFO: Copying large production clients|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/489690]

[557132 - CC-TOPIC: Remote client copy|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/557132]

And DO use the search function, there is quite bunch of information already in the forums. And i suggest to do some tests with a smaller client to get a feeling for the procedures.

Cheers Michael

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

@prateek_y

So I know that is recommended to do a remote client copy but in my case it is not possible.

Regarding of resuming a client export you say that "If a copy terminates for technical reasons, you can restart the process from the point of termination" so this depends of the operating system, isn't it?

Is it also possible to resume the client export when the process dies cause of permission errors or read/write errors?

Thanks for help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michele,

Well yes recomended is to do a Remote Client Copy and if you wana go for Export there is no problem.

Regarding of resuming a client export you say that "If a copy terminates for technical reasons, you can restart the process from the point of termination" so this depends of the operating system, isn't it?

Yes usually it starts from the point of failure as it is creating a file on OS level but I dont think so that it depends on OS as its all SAP specific it may create or add a flag at the point of failure.

Is it also possible to resume the client export when the process dies cause of permission errors or read/write errors?

Yes it is .... though I havenot faced any issue like it.... but as per my understanding with SAP and their tools as MIgmon and other stuff... its quite possible to resume it...

All the best !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You mentioned client size is 750 to 800GB. This case you can go to DB refresh or System copy. don't select the clien copy..it will take more then a week.

DB refresh will complete quicky.

Thanks and Regards,

Jibin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answers.

So please keep in mind I have to do a client export (SCC8) => Not a local client copy (SCCL) and not a remote client copy (SCC9)

-

@mho

I already used the search funktion.

The SAP Note 557132 - CC-TOPIC: Remote client copy is not usable in my case.

Remote client copy is not possible!

The SAP Note 489690 - CC INFO: Copying large production clients is also not really useful.

-

Regarding the parallelization of the client export I found this in the note 489690:

"As of Release 4.6, parallel processes are available for local copying (SCCL transaction), remote copying (SCC9), and client deletion (SCC5) ('Parallel processes' button)."

" In some cases, instead of using remote copying, you may continue using the client transport (transaction SCC8 for the export, STMS for the import, and SCC7 for the postprocessing in the target client).However, this will cause a considerably longer total runtime, since no parallel processes are available and the transporting of texts can last a very long time. Also, the data must be first copied to the file system.See note 70547 and the relevant R3trans documentation for more information."

That means that it is not possible to parallelize the client export, isn't it?

-

@srinivas

I know that the size is to much for a client export and we explained the customer all the disadvantages but we still have to export the client => Also DB-Export is not volitional

We calculate over 60days for the client export cause of some tests.

We already made a reorganisation for the system to tune up the performance of the client export.

-

-

@prateek_y

I will check your commendation and reply again.

-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers to your both the questions is Yes.....

Ans1:Note 180541 - CC-INFO: Performance problem when copying text

Ans2: If a copy terminates for technical reasons, you can restart the process from the point of termination

And to understand better how to do a client copy.. you cn refer below documentation >

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/69/c24c4e4ba111d189750000e8322d00/frameset.htm

All the best !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michele,

Please run the test client copy,according to that you can plan the same, but 700-750 GB client means it takes bit long time,not sure it will complete successfully,normally for client export for 50GB , it will take 10-20hrs and Import it will takes 3 times of Export.

Please check if possible!.

With Regards

Srinivas