Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is validation done using BPM and MDM

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi everybody.

I have a business usecase. It is with BPM-MDM Integration. I need your comments on this.

Data is transferred/imported from ERP to MDM. This process is automized and data is imported through Import Server.

whenever the import happens, validation has to be happened like null check, format etc. Based on that the record has to be imported or it can ignore it.

• Should these validation needs to be done at MDM end or at BPM?

If MDM End, should I need to use MDM Workflow as well or Is it be possible without using MDM workflow.

• How can I check the non-imported data(ie. Records which failed during validation)

can I get this information from MDM level by any means, saying can we get the records which failed during validation

Is there anything which we can do from MDM side or should we do this check from BPM side?

Also Is it recommended to go with MDM Workflow and BPM as well in this usecase. (like BPM-MDMWorklfow-MDM).

Any suggestions.

Regards

Bala

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

I have also worked in a similar architecture.

You do not need to integrate BPM-MDM for you requirements.

At the time of Import, you can write Validation and Assignment. This will trigger workflow. All records which do not pass your validation checks can be lined up in workflow. Then user can manually look into these records and ecide the fate of these records. All other records which has passed the validations will be check in into the repository.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala

When you say MDM-BPM integration I am assuming that BPM(workflow tool for defining the master data processes) is already in place as a process layer and also you have a UI level for the data to be captured and screens to navigate.

Data is transferred/imported from ERP to MDM. This process is automized and data is imported through Import Server.

whenever the import happens, validation has to be happened like null check, format etc. Based on that the record has to be imported or it can ignore it.

Such validations can be part of UI validation which simplifies things in CMDM.

Other valid approach would be to use Business Objects-DS for importing the records from ERP which can check for the rules defined(Null checks and format). Landscape can be ERP->BODS->MDM: Out of say 100 records coming from ERP if 10 are failing the checks/rules defined in BODS only 90 will be supplied to MDM for import and remaining 10 can be further processed as exception file.

For me defining and using MDM workflow is not a great idea as we are allowing invalid records in productive MDM repository.

please let me know your thoughts on this-Ravi

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep, Sudha, Ravi

Thanks for your prompt reply and I got my doubt clarified almost.

Just to summarize.

BPM is used to create new master data record in MDM and as said by you all, basic validations are achieved in the UI layer itself before it reaches MDM.

Import of Data from ERP to MDM is done and here validations are performed using MDM Workflow.

@Ravi: I'm planning to run the report MDM_CLNT_EXTR to extract data from ERP and import to MDM. Can I use BODS in this case or BODS is alternate for the report?

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala

You are correct. BODS is used as an alternate method for connecting to ERP and extracting master records.

Thanks-Ravi

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi.

Is there any document which explains about BODS-MDM Integration?

Regards

Bala

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There are both Wiki spaces covering [MDM-BPM integration|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BPX/BPMUseCases-Streamliningcreationofmasterdata], and for [MDM-BusinessObjects Data Services integration|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SAPMDM/IntegratingSAPNetWeaverMDMwithSAPBusinessObjectsDataServices].

Hope these help.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala

you can refer to following link on business object integration with MDM

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/large/eim/data-services/index.epx

On MDM and BODS integration for ETL use please refer to below link-

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b097f3ba-5565-2b10-74af-b51838bb0...

Please close the thread if answered.

Thanks-Ravi

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus and Ravi.

~Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

As per your requirement, you can go ahead with MDM workflow. This MDM workflow will trigger on Record Import.

See, I assume that you understand the different steps of MDM workflow, like Assign, Validate, Branch, Start, Stop etc.

As your workfow will trigger on Record Import with Start step (Checkout state) and record will check-in only if it validates that validation else will get rollback.

can I get this information from MDM level by any means, saying can we get the records which failed during validation

Before Roll back you can syndicate that records also for your reference.

Start(Checkout)>Branch step(checks validation like null case and other MDM fields population etc)>If fails( Send these records to)>syndicate step>Stop1 (Rollback) else if Pass -->Stop2(checkIn)

In this way only records which are valid records gets checkin ( gets created into MDM) and failed validation records would be syndicated out of MDM for your reference before Stop step (Roll back) means not get created into MDM.

I dont have MS-Visio to test this scenario but i hope it should work..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini