cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS MSS and ECC AS ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it a requirement to have AS JAVA on ECC 6, in order to have ESS/MSS on Portal? Can we do ESS/MSS with just AS ABAP stack on ECC (we have EHP4)

(I dont want to double post - i tried the question in ESS forum)

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not recommonded to have both Abap and Java on a single system ESS and MSS.

But practically it is possible to install ABAP and JAVA with EP on a single instance and configure ESS MSS.

Regards,

Phani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Probably I did not put my question straight.

I have

1) Portal Box with EP and EP Core

2) ECC6 EHP4 - AS ABAP

My question is - do I need to have ECC6 AS ABAP on a different box to have ESS/MSS functionality on the Portal? Or would my ECC AS ABAP be sufficient?

I had referred to the blog - http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/21eb036a-0a01-0010-25a3-b22244326... - and on Pg3 it says that you need a JAVA server. Would this be required, and would that be AS JAVA of ECC6?

Please advise

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to find out weather for ESS/MSS your portal will be sufficient or you will need another JAVA stack for your ECC system ?

You can use your current Portal system to deploy ESS/MSS.

[Downloading and deploy ESS & MSS |http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=31476]

If you have other systems like BW, CRM, etc. and they have JAVA/Portal stack with them, then you might want to consider going with Federated Portal and then the whole concept of Producer and Consumer comes in.

So I guess find out what the long term strategy is. Would BW be used for Web Reporting Yes, NO, Maybe ?

Based on these questions you need to define weather you need to implement ESS/MSS on you main portal or you want to add another JAVA/portal instance for your ECC.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveed,

It kind of answered my question.But I got confused.

Lets take my landscape as simple - ECC AS ABAP (EHP4) in one box, and another Box for Portal (EP,EP Core).

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/21eb036a-0a01-0010-25a3-b22244326... - following this document, (pg 6), it says that you need to configure the SAP JCo in the webdynpro content admin in the "sneak preview" JAVA. So, should I have ECC AS JAVA box instead to do this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No you don't need a separate AS JAVA. You can do those steps on Portal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Naveed said, you can have your Portal talk directly to ECC. The Webdynpro connections should be created on Portal - not on ECC.

Thanks, Mehfil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Naveed. Your answer closes my issue. (and thanks for bieng soo quick)

Thanks to all others too..

I have BI, CRM and other stuff which are going to the Portal. So, I would go in to the strategies side to design it better before I hit the ESS/MSS alone. Thanks again for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveed,All,

Do you know if any usage types (like BI_JAVA is required for BI functionality on EP) are required for making an EP (with EP Core / EP usage types) to a Portal which can have ESS / MSS packages to be installed?

Thanks,

Mehfil

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you plan to use Web reporting then BI_JAVA will be required. But for ESS/MSS it is not required.

Thanks,

Naveed

Answers (0)