cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM: Retrofit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Retrofit,

The new functioanlity "Retrofit" is available in Sol Man EHP1. What is retrofit functioanlity? How is the benefit of this functioanlity?

Your input will be very much appreciated

Thnaks

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

many usefull info are availble here

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm70ehp1_sp23/helpdata/en/b6/6de59f9abc4d17a04ac6486c2e8b84/frameset.htm

also open subnodes on the left to get more details.

To make it simple: retrofit allows using copying changes made on a system (usually mainetenance system) on another system (dev of main track) to avoid redoing changes manually. This is interesting when you re using a maintenance to support very urg. changes that points directly on prod. In this case retrofit allows distributing changes on main track.

PS: Retrofit does not support all kind of sap objects. Techno and more details are given in above links

hope this helps

Regards

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

Can i activate the retrofit functioanlity and the cross system object lock (CSOL) functionality both in one system?

Why i am asking this query is:

In the transaction, /tmwflow/cmsconf, i need to set the system status as "Non Modifiable" in the Sol Man system to activate CSOL. If i set the system status as "Non modifiable', i can not able to create BC set in the Sol Man system where in which i have actiovated the CSOL. If i can not able to create the BC set means, retrofit functioanlity will not work. Because at the end of the retrofit functioanlity BC set will be created.

Is my understanding correct?

Waiting for your valuable input.

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

Request for your input to set up the logical component for retrofit functionality.

I am considering two possible ways to implement retrofit.

1. Create one logical component LC1 and the follwoing systems in the logical component:

LC1: SJ1:100 (System Role: DEV), SJ1:200 (System Role:QA), SJ1:300(System Role:PRD), SJ1:400 (System Role: Post Processing).

Note: Post Processing system is a retrofit system.

2. Create two logical componets like LC1 & LC2 with the folowing systems in the logical component

LC1: SJ1:100 (System Role: DEV), SJ1:200 (System Role:QA), SJ1:300(System Role:PRD), SJ1:400 (System Role: Post Processing).

LC2: SJI:400 (System Role: DEV), SJ1:200 (System Role:QA), SJ1:300(System Role:PRD).

Which option will be best to go for retrofit functionality.

Note: Post Processing system is a retrofit system. All the clients are within the same system.

Thanks for the input

Kumar

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil,

both are fine. There is no more advisable test concerning the maintenance cycles (1 or 2). In the 'great' expert blog you found the person decided to do the test in only one maintenance cycle.... which at the end results to the same cause you ll notice that she said

'In the task list notice that you need to have two project tracks one per each source system and a Post-Processing System: Retrofit system'

If you separate 2 two logical components you ll have 1 project track per project whereas if you put both in the same; you ll have 2 as shown in the expert blog screen shots.

The only time I set up retrofit (1 year ago), i ve decided to separate Logical Component for presonal reasons (simpler tasklists and different actors on 2 maintenance cycles (= track) so different authorizations...)

Concerning the SDHF and SDMJ; if test with tasklist works I don t see why it would nt work with the change documents. So if you have time you could test them as well. It won't take you more than a couple of minutes when all the prerequisites are fullfilled.

Have you tested anything yet ?

Did you create your maintenance cycle(s) ?

Regards

Khalil

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi PSK,

'OK. As you have mentioned, i need to create two maintenance projects one project with logical component LC1 & one more with logical component LC2. Am i correct?'

Yes you are correct.

'If i include both logical components (LC1 & LC2) into one maintenance project, will it work? What will be the problem?'

I don t know if it will work; but this would nt make sense cause in the same project,

you ll have a same system/client which is SJI400 declared as a postprocessing & a DEV System. Tasks assigned to those roles are different (for PP you should have tasks like importing TR whereas for DEV you should have tasks like import TR...°. I would advice you to stick with my first proposition meaning 2 different tasklists = maintenance cycles

'To test retrofit, Is the normal correction is must?'

Yes It is ; you can test it with just tasklist. If it works; it will also work with SDMJ

Regards

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

'OK. As you have mentioned, i need to create two maintenance projects one project with logical component LC1 & one more with logical component LC2. Am i correct?'

Yes you are correct.

But i was referring the Blog in SDN about the retrofit, it says add both logical component into one maintenace project only.

Blog link:

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/08/27/change-request-management-scenario-retrofit-functionality

Can you suggest which methodology is more advisable?

'To test retrofit, Is the normal correction is must?'

Yes It is ; you can test it with just tasklist. If it works; it will also work with SDMJ

To test retrofit, minimum one SDHF and minimum one SDMJ is must? I am planning to test only with SDHF without SDMJ. will it work? Why SDMJ is must to test retrofit?

Regards

Kumar

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Again,

first option would not work cause you ll only have a logical component with a retrofit system whereas you re supposed to have at least another one having that 1st decalared post processing system as a source system.

Option 2 is correct. Be aware that in order to have a consistent retrofit solution: you ll have to have the 2nd project (the one with the 2nd logical component, meaning with its dev = previsouly declared retrofit) created with a functional tasklist.

One more thing, i guess this is a sandbox system you re working on to maybe test the retrofit... because normally the second project (receiving the retrofit) in your case the one based on the LC2 should nt have the same systems in its landscape otherwise that would mean that you ll redo those changes in the same systems

Hope this helps

regards

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

In STMS, How to set-up transport path for retrofit client? I have already set-up transport path for DEV, QA and PRD to activate standard path. Is the existing transport path to be modified to include retrofit client?

Note: As you mentioned, i am working with ECC sandbox to test retrofit (within ECC sandbox system, i am creating four clients DEV,QA, PRD & RETROFIT)

Thank you

PSK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

OK. As you have mentioned, i need to create two maintenance projects one project with logical component LC1 & one more with logical component LC2. Am i correct?

If i include both logical components (LC1 & LC2) into one maintenance project, will it work? What will be the problem?

To test retrofit, Is the normal correction is must?

thanks

psk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

Request you to explain me the below statement more in detail:

Normally the second project (receiving the retrofit) in your case the one based on the LC2 should nt have the same systems in its landscape otherwise that would mean that you ll redo those changes in the same systems.

thanks

psk