cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to configure retention period for document type ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

In SAP DMS, once we set a Retention period, after that period document can be deleted or archived automatically.

can anybody tell me , where to configure this retention period and how document gets archived or deleted after this period.

Kind Regards,

Sunil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

There is no retention period. But your requirment can be fulfiilled by following way:

Ask abap'r to make automatic archival of document when next verion is created. Message will come and previous versions will be archived automatically. For deletion of documents it will be another project which is normally executed after 3-4 years after implementation based on content server size and usage of documents in dms.

Usage of previous version archival as automatic will be best practice in your case.

I hope this will resolve the query.

Regards,

Ravindra

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Supplementing Senthil's inputs, you may also explore setting the deletion indicator on for the DIR's you no longer wish to retain prior to running the z-program.This can be achieved by adding the function module DMS_PROC_DOC_DELETE in the "Start processing" node.(SPRO > CA Components > DMS > General Data > 'Start Processing for Documents').

On enabling this FM, in CV04n results screen, use the button 'Process' to set the Mass Deletion indicator on for relevant DIR's. You may then run the deletion program in the background for the above selected DIR's.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Edited by: Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar on Aug 24, 2010 5:55 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your Expert opinion.

Regards,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member182387
Active Participant
0 Kudos

AFAIK, there is no retention period in DMS.

In my project we used to save the retention period in the custom field added in DRAW table and use the report program(which will run as a background job) to delete the document.

Better try this approach...