cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'BOXI3.1 SP3' select box limitations

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This is regarding character limitation in Universe Designer BOXI 3.1 SP3 for an object in the select box.

Environment:

BOXI3.1 SP3

Issue:

We are hardcoding the list of values in @prompt function. If I check the number of characters in the select box, we are using around 2,58,552 characters. While in Business Objects, the number of characters accepted in the select box of the object are around 28000 (without space).

Require help on:

. Are there any limitations with the number of characters that can be used in the select box of the object in Universe Designer?

. Is there any way we could modify the limitation?

Thank you in advance!

PS:

We cannot hardcode the list of values at the database level. In this case we will have to include the table at the universe level and incase this is combined with any other query it will result into cartesian product as there is no link with the values with any other object.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your only use for the table is contents for the LOV, then it does not have to be joined to the rest of the universe. If that is what you are trying to do, please post back and I will provide more specific instructions on how to accomplish your needs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

You got that right.

I am trying to use a table specifically for generating list of values.

This will work fine, but...

I have created a object '<test>' and trying to use the following syntax in it:

Case

when @Prompt('1.Enter value','A','<Class\object name>',mono,free) ='List of value'

THEN

(

Case WHEN @Prompt('2.Level','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='1' THEN @Select(Class2\object2)

WHEN @Prompt('2.Level','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='2' THEN @Select(Class2\object3)

WHEN @Prompt('2.Level','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='3' THEN @Select(Class2\object4)

WHEN @Prompt('2.Level','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='4' THEN @Select(Class2\object5)

END )

when @Prompt('1.Enter value','A','<Class\object name>',mono,free) ='List of value2'

THEN

(

Case WHEN @Prompt('2.Enter value2','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='1' THEN @Select(Class3\object2)

WHEN @Prompt('2.Level','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='2' THEN @Select(Class3\object3)

WHEN @Prompt('2.Level','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='3' THEN @Select(Class3\object4)

WHEN @Prompt('2.Level','N',{'1','2','3','4'},mono,free)='4' THEN @Select(Class3\object5)

END)

END

This continues for another 50 times for other 50 list of values which select other 50 classes.

Now, in this creates it creates a cartesian product when we try to display the list of value for this object '<test>'.

This list of values table cannot be linked to any other table.

Hope this clarifies...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, that seems to be overly complex. Instead of posting code, can you please post a short description of what you are actually trying to do?

It looks like you're trying to combine multiple LOV definitions into one, and I'm not sure I see why that would be needed (or desired).

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In BOE XI 4.0 we have revisited the list of values and the prompts: list of values and prompts will become standalone metadata thta can be reused across the universe.

This said we also have introduced new types of list of values and among these there is the static list of values where you can create your own values and resue it with objects, prompts and filters.

So in XI 4.0 your problem will be solved.

Concerning the limitation of characters in universe in XI 3.1 Isuggest that you create multiple prompts with the same question and same data type and use them in the query.

Prompts will be merged and all static values displayed as a single prompt.

I don't know if it will be solved you problem because it depends of your quesry.

Regards

Didier