cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SAPDB 7.3.00.20 to SAP MAXDB7.7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are tring to upgrade our content server from SAPDB 7.3.00.20 to maxdb 7.7. Can any one guide us on following:

1) where we can found the sapdb s/w for patch version 7.3.00.20 and 7.3.00.25. because this is not available in SMP.

2) we need to install these DB for the test upgrade activity. as the 7.3.00.25. is the prerequisites for MAXdb7.7.

3) Can we change the nonunicode db to unicode db.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bhavesh,

1.Please update with additional information:

What is the version of the content server?

What is the OS of the database server?

Did you check the PAM ?

2. Please see SAP Note No. 498036 on the Target versions for the upgrade the SAPDB 7.3.

Please review SAP Note No. 744774 if migrating the database catalog to Unicode needed.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the responce .

Please check my reply for details.

Regards,

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

more important thing is that SAP never tested this installation and you will not get help with this installation in case you

run into problems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ok, well then what do you suggest? I need to upgrade the DB , so how should i proceed. ?

Regards,

Bhavesh

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bhavesh,

1.Please update with additional information:

Are you SAP customer?

2. Please see SAP Note No. 498036 on the Target versions for the upgrade the SAPDB 7.3.

3. First, we need clarify your project according PAM:

DB upgrade with migration from SAPDB 7.3.00.20 from 32 Bit(windows 2000)

to MAXDB 7.6 64 bit (windows 2003).

You could test the following steps:

A)

-Install the new CS on 32 Bit(windows 2000) with SAPDB 7.3 version

-Update the with SAPDB 7.3 to the latest released build for 7.3.

-Hom. DB copy using backup/restore from existed DB to the new installed, SAP note 129352

-Update the new database to the version 7.5, see SAP Note: 669711

-Install CS on X64 bit (windows 2003) ) with MAXDB 7.5 version

-Hom. DB copy using backup/restore from new DB on 32 Bit(windows 2000) to DB on X64 bit (windows 2003) , SAP note 129352

-Update the database on X64 bit (windows 2003) to 7.6 version, see SAP Note: 793550

Or

B)

-Install the new CS on 32 Bit(windows 2000) with SAPDB 7.3 version

-Update the with SAPDB 7.3 to the latest released build for 7.3.

-Hom. DB copy using backup/restore from existed DB to the new installed, SAP note 129352

-Install CS on X64 bit (windows 2003) ) with MAXDB 7.6 version

-Run Heterogeneous system copy new CS on 32 Bit(windows 2000) to CS on X64 bit (windows 2003) ),

See SAP note 962019.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

Thanks a lot. for such brief details.

Can you help me in , how can i check the existing vertion of content server? I am unable to check my exisitng Content server vertion.

yes i am a SAP customer and have checked these notes.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Natalia Khlopina ,

Thanks a lot for the brief details , please help me on following doubts:

My content server version is 6.20 ,

1) does content server version 6.20 supports the higher build od SAPDB 7.3, for example( 62) ?

2) Do i need to install Content server again if i upgrade my SAPDB 7.3.00 build 20 to sapdb 7.3.00 build 62. ?

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

well, I never tested this my self but looking at PAM (service.sap.com/pam) SAPDB 7.3 32 bit was not released on

windows 64 (x86_64) platform.

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for the update,

Can you tell me if i upgrade my SAPDB of content server then will it give any impact on content server?

Will i need to reinstall the content server or i just need to restart?

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I do not think installation of SAPDB 7.3 32 bit on Windows 2003 64 bit will work!

I am affraid you will need 32 bit server for this installation.

What I would suggest is :

-> get Win 2000 (or 2003) 32 bit server, install SAPDB 7.3 , then patch it to latest patch

-> run upgrade to maxdb 7.6 32 bit

-> again apply patch

-> backup -> restore to newly installed content server on windows 64 bit 2003 with maxdb 7.6 64 bit (patched)

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

R u sure that SAPDB 7.3 , 32 bit will not work in windows 2003 64 bit ?

Regards,

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1) where we can found the sapdb s/w for patch version 7.3.00.20 and 7.3.00.25. because this is not available in SMP.

Don't know where you looked but I can see the newest patches under

http://service.sap.com/swcenter-3pmain

--> MaxDB and SAP DB

--> (under Download links the second section) SAPDB (or SAPDB 64bit)

Any special reason why you don't want to use the latest patchlevel?

> 3) Can we change the nonunicode db to unicode db.

The database catalog will be migrated to Unicode during the upgrade but the database content will not. You'll need to do this migration on an application level by doing a Unicode conversion.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Thsanks for the reply :

1) I want same patch level because i dont know weather i will be able to restore the db by offline back on this new patch level?

2) can you brief me what do you mean by database content convetoin must be done on appication level.

I will brief you with my requirement and the activity:

REquirement:

1) we re doing hte DB upgrade with migration from SAPDB 7.3.00.20 to /.7 Max db from 32 Bit(window2000) to 64 bit (window2003).

Plan and action:

1) as we dont have any test server to test the upgrade. I am creating the Same DB version in the newserver (64bit) and then restore the the DB from offline backup.

2) then we upgrade the DB to 7.7

4) and out new server will be ready.

Let me know if this plan is incorrect.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1) I want same patch level because i dont know weather i will be able to restore the db by offline back on this new patch level?

Yes, this is not a problem. You can always use a higher patchlevel version of the same major version to restore.

> 2) can you brief me what do you mean by database content convetoin must be done on appication level.

Is this a SAP (ABAP) system?

> 1) as we dont have any test server to test the upgrade. I am creating the Same DB version in the newserver (64bit) and then restore the the DB from offline backup.

Fine!

> 2) then we upgrade the DB to 7.7

Good!

> 4) and out new server will be ready.

Yes, that's a good plan.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the update:

2) can you brief me what do you mean by database content convetoin must be done on appication level.

No there is no SAP system installed on this server. only DB with content server. thats it .

One more doubt.

when i insrtall this new patch level of DB in windows 2003 -64 bit will it be some probelm to restore backup that is from 32bit (windows 2000)

Regards,

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 2) can you brief me what do you mean by database content convetoin must be done on appication level.

> No there is no SAP system installed on this server. only DB with content server. thats it .

So there's no need to do a Unicode conversion if this is a content server.

> One more doubt.

> when i insrtall this new patch level of DB in windows 2003 -64 bit will it be some probelm to restore backup that is from 32bit (windows 2000)

Yes.

Check

Note 960769 - Windows: Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit (x86_64)

Beware: According to PAM the version 7.7 is not (yet) supported for a content server (just 7.6).

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> One more doubt.

> when i insrtall this new patch level of DB in windows 2003 -64 bit will it be some probelm to restore backup that is from 32bit (windows 2000)

I mean no, there won't be a problem (didn't read your question properly). Backup/Restore is the way to go. sorry for the confusion.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

just for the confirmation , a the above replys confused me ,

1) If I install SAPDB 7.3.00.20 ( I found our old CD) on new server that is windows 2003 64bit . I will be able to restore my backup of db from older server that is (windows 2000 32 bit) .

Am I Correct.

Regards,