cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SMD agent same as Diagnostic agent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all experts, I am doing the solman_setup after upgrade to EHP1 SP23. I believe I have read all materials and searched all over the forum. But I am still confused about SMD and Diagnostic agent. However, I found only one post who mentioned that SMD is same as Diagnostic agent. The Diagnostice agent is the newer version. So for my case, I think I only need to install the Diagnostic agent from swdc.

Also, I know that we install Diagnostic agent on all managed systems. I also saw on the forum someone mentioned that Diagnostic agent should be installed on both SM(managing system and managed systems). Is that correct?

I installed Willy on SM. I will also install Wily agent on all managed systems. Do I also need to install Wily agent on SM? I think this is different, right...I think we don't need to...am I correct?

Thanks for anyone who can clear all of my questions above which I haven't been clearly understood.

Kev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The SMD agent provide a "basic connection" between the SolMan and the satelite system, it should installed in all managed system.

the Wily Introscope agents instrument the functions/methods/classes and collects performance data it should install in solman system.

for start and stop of smd

[http://www.erpdb.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/charm_diagnostic_smd.pdf|http://www.erpdb.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/charm_diagnostic_smd.pdf]

Jansi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're confusing SDM SAP Deplyment Manager - part of SAP Netweaver AS java 7.0x

and SMD Solution Manager Diagnostics. Yes SMD agent is the 7.0x name for >= 7.10 Diagnostcs agent.

From 7.0x to 7.1 SAP, ownership of saposcol has changed.

If you install Diagnostic agent on system with SAP < 7.10

it has difficulty finding saposcol.

Wily agent required for all systems with java. SM has java SMD, SLM, java AS ...

Wily agent requires diagnostic agent (SMD style or DAA style) for diagnostic setup

diagnostic setup deploys wilyhost agent (wilyhost), which is used by BI for KPI. Note wilyhost is different from wily agent, automatically deployed.

Change Management Reporting (a BI thingy) reqires diagnostic agent.

Recent EWA for certain ABAP only systems (eg SAP ERP 6) make reference to CMR

These EWA have yellow flag in absence of Diagnostic agent.

Ken

mateus_pedroso
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As you have Solman SP23, you must install in every managed system the agent version 7.11.

You need install the Wily introscope just in Solution Manager, The Wily agent is delivered inside of Solution Manager Agent.

Example: Activate the Maintenance Mode in Solution Manager Diagnostics, deploy the ISAGENTSMD in your solution manager system and disable the Maintenance Mode. All agents will reconnect automatically in Solution Manager and you'll be able to see the wily agent being delivered automatically in the SMD Agent logs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

By the way, can you tell me the tranaction to bring up the SMD? I have been looking for it and can't find it.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can try to execute smd scripts (smdadmin, smdstart, smdstop), you have to be

logged on as smdadm user.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

SH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all, thanks again for the replies. I am still confusing with something and you help me to clarify these:

where can I find the three scripts, smdadmin, smdstart, smdstop?

Are they from the managing system ( solution manager sytem ) \usr\sap\C7I\DVEBMGS00\SDM\program\

But from there I only see StartServer.bat, StopServer.bat, andd startSDM.bat

Is this SMD directory on solution manager installed automatically when we upgrade to EHP1 SP23. I didn't install SMD on this explicitly. I only installed the Diagnostics agent 7.11 on the managed systems manually. Is that all correct?

Or these three scripts are located in the managed systems, but from there I only find this directory \usr\sap\DAA and there isn't any script.

On thing I want to confirm is...is the "Diagnostics agent 7.11" and "SMD Agent 7.00" same thing.

The SMD is just the older version. When I download them from this path on swdc, there are these two choices..it is confusing.

swdc/

Support Packages and Patches - Entry by Application Group" --SAP Technology Components" SAP SOLUTION MANAGER" SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.0 EHP 1" Entry by Component" Agents for managed systems

Also, from this path below:

Installations and Upgrades - Entry by Application Group"-- SAP Technology Components" --SAP SOLUTION MANAGER" SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.0 EHP 1

Under the link SAP solution manager diagnostics, there are these two also:

SOLMANDIAG 7.00

SMD AGENT 7.00

So this SOLMANDIAG 7.00 download, does it mean we need to manually install this. Or this has been installed automatically by EHP1 SP23 and that's why I can see the SMD folder as I mentioned above.

Thanks all.

Kev

Edited by: Kev Yeung on Aug 20, 2010 4:58 PM