cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of MDM 7.1 SP04 to SP05

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Iam new to SRM MDM. We have MDM 7.1 SP04 System installed on AIX and need to be patched to SP05.

1. I found this Patch MDMS71005_8-20004455.TAR in Marketplace, is this sufficient or do i need to download any more files?

2. On the Host, i see under /usr/sap/SID/ , 2 folders MDS and MDIS and under each folder there is folder EXE. Which one has to be patched.

3. Where can i find step by step procedure for patching?

Many thanks,

Mohan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna.

Refer to the Installation guide available in the following documentation link:You will find a step-by-step way to proceed the installation/upgradation.

http://service.sap.com/installmdm71

Thanks

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have seen this quicklink already but cannot find my scenario (from SP04 to SP05).

Regards,

Mohan.

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna.

The upgrade procedure from older Service Pack to the newer one will be same. Since you are in MDM7.1 there is no new upgrade feature available as of MDM7.1 SP05 for AIX OS. you can also refer to the following link about the features available in SP05.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/f768714caa20dfe10000000a42189b/content.htm

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

Sorry, it took time to inform the Functional people that there is no new feature available from SP04 to SP05. Now, my task is atleast patch the latest Patch available for MDM Server SP04.

For MDM Server SP04, these are the latest Patches in Marketplace:

MDM 7.1 SP04 Patch4 - Installation Master MDMIM71004_4-20004515.TAR

MDM 7.1 SP04 Patch27 - Import Server MDMIMS71004_27-20004463.TAR

MDM 7.1 SP04 Patch28 - Server MDMS71004_28-20004455.TAR

MDM 7.1 SP04 Patch28 - Shared Installation Content MDMSIC71004_28-20005046.TAR

1. The above 4 files are sufficient or do i need to download any other file?

2. How to patch the MDM Server? (Under /usr/sap/SID/ , i see 2 folders MDS and MDIS.)

Please help.

Regards,

Mohan.

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Krishna,

I think those 4 files are enough for MDM Server Upgrade. But You should download latest client like data manager, console etc. too and provide them to MDM users.

MDS folder refers to MDM server installation folder and MDIS refers to MDM import Server installation folder.

Once you upgrade the MDM servers using New patches, content of these folders will be overwritten. you just need to execute SAPint, select upgrade option and specify the latest patch files. This will do your work...

As a best practice i would suggest you to take back-up of your repositories and configuration file MDS.INI and MDIS.ini..

Please revert if any further question...

Best Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiv,

Thanks for your quick reply.

You wrote "Once you upgrade the MDM servers..." and thats the problem for me. Iam new to MDM. Could you please explain in detail how i should upgrade the MDM server.

My view is :

1. Shutdown the MDM Server

2. Put the TAR file of MDS in EXE folder under /usr/sap/SID/MDS/ and extract it as SAPCAR -xvf xyz.TAR

3. Put the TAR file of MDIS in EXE folder under /usr/sap/SID/MDIS/ and extract it as SAPCAR -xvf xyz.TAR

4. Startup the MDM Server

5. So, what about other 2 files. Where should i place them and when should i extract them.

Are the above steps correct? If not, please give the procedure.

Many thanks,

Mohan.

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna.

SAP provides a utility tool called SAP Installer or SAPInst to perform the installation/upgrade process. Download this tool from SMP which would be the easy way to perform the upgrade process.

As mentioned by Shiv, it is recommended to backup your repository. If there is any repository take a back up for the same.

Given a step-bus rough idea on how it looks like

1. Stop the server

2. Run the SAP INST which will take you to a step by step process.

3. Select the option Upgrade.

4. Click "Next" button if all are fine.

5. At one point of time it will ask to choose the new TAR file for MDM Server and MDM IIS.You can refer those files here and proceed.

6. Click Next and wait till it becomes 100%.

Similarly unistall all the MDM GUI applications and reinstall it.

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandar,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I have 4 files as given below. In Installation Master, i find sapinst, can i use this?

2. "Backup the Repository" but where can i find the Repository?

Many Thanks,

Mohan.

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Krishna,

Yes, use the same SAPint which you find in Installation Master. But untar (unzip) these files on MDM and then execute SAPint on MDM server.

Once SAPint is started, it will show you different options for installation. On this screen, there will be an option of upgrade at the bottom. Select this option, and then SAPint will guide you through the rest of the process.

Just for your information, at one point SAPint will ask you to specify the path of new MDM patch files. You can browse and specify patch shared content, MDM server and Import Server, and then it will automatically upgrade your MDM server and import server.

I feel, upgrade using SAPint is easy and you will be able to easily upgrade by reading instruction by SAPint.

Now, to backup your repository there are two ways:

1. take database backup using normal DB backup process

2. Create an archive file of the repository: This can be done using MDM console client. open MDM console and from the menu select "MDM Servers-->Mount MDM Server". Specify the full name or IP of your MDM server.

Once you mount MDM server then it will show list of all repositories running on that Server in the console hierarchy (left most pane of MDM console).

Now click on the repository which you want to take backup, right click and select "Archive Repository". This will create a file with extension .a2a. This file will be created in the archive directory of your MDM server. You can check this directory on your MDM server installation directory. This .a2a file is DB and OS independent file and can be used to restore repository on any MDM server (not on lower version).

Hope this clears your doubt..Revert if any further query...

Best Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna

To add-

You can find useful information on the contents of these zip file in the label.asc file which can be also downloaded from service market place.

thanks-Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiv,

Thanks a lot, my issue is resolved.

Regards,

Mohan.

Answers (0)