cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Considerations while upgrade SQL 2000 to SQL 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am currently on Windows 2000/SQL 2000 on Dual CPU Itanium Machine running ECC 5.0. If i upgrdae it to Windows 2003/SQL 2005 (or 2008) on Dual CPU X64 Machine with SAP ECC 6.0, do I need to purchase SQL 2008 licenses fresh.

I am purchasing Windows 2008 licenses with the new Hardware. SAP, I know there is no issue in Upgrade. I am only worried about MS SQL license part.

Please guide. Will appriciate if you give some rough idea about cost also.

Thanks

Jitendra Tayal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am purchasing Windows 2008 licenses with the new Hardware. SAP, I know there is no issue in Upgrade. I am only worried about MS SQL license part.

As long as you use the Enterprise version of SQL Server there is no license issue - but I'd neverless check with your SAP sales rep.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus !

Please provide some confirmed answers if somebody has..

Thanks

Jitendra Tayal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Please provide some confirmed answers if somebody has..

The only one being able to confirm is your SAP sales representative, because only he knows your license and your contract.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whether you can upgrade SQL Server or not without buying new licenses depends on the type of licenses you bought and whether you have bought software assurance or not. If you have bought software assurance with your licenses and have been buying it on every renewal cycle then you can upgrade SQL Server without any issues. Obviously like Markus said you should confirm with your sales rep.

Answers (0)