cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SPAM/SAINT for the first time (Many doubts and questions)

former_member578055
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm newbie using SPAM/SAINT and SOLMAN.

I've mande a maintenance optimizer task for the SOLMAN system here in the company.

My actual installed components are:

SAP_ABA 700 0012 SAPKA70012 Cross-Application Component

SAP_BASIS 700 0012 SAPKB70012 SAP Basis Component

PI_BASIS 2005_1_700 0012 SAPKIPYJ7C PI_BASIS 2005_1_700

ST-PI 2005_1_700 0006 SAPKITLQI6 SAP Solution Tools Plug-In

SAP_BW 700 0013 SAPKW70013 SAP NetWeaver BI 7.0

SAP_AP 700 0010 SAPKNA7010 SAP Application Platform

BBPCRM 500 0009 SAPKU50009 BBPCRM

BI_CONT 703 0005 SAPKIBIIP5 Business Intelligence Content

CPRXRPM 400 0009 SAPK-40009INCPRXRPM SAP xRPM/cProjects/cFolders 4.00 (ABAP)

ST 400 0012 SAPKITL422 SAP Solution Manager Tool

ST-A/PI 01J_CRM500 0000 - Application Servicetools for CRM 500 / 5

ST-ICO 150_700 0009 SAPK-15079INSTPL SAP Solution Manager Implementation Cont

ST-SER 700_2007_1 0001 SAPKITLOM1 SAP Solution Manager Service Tools

I've made the search and found a lot of info.

Some kernel updates (I386 on my case), and my first question is: "How do I update this? Is it safe to be the first thing to be done?" Is it only copy to the Run directory (usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\run)?

Also a component BC-FES-IGS has some updates, but I don't know what is this and how to update. (it says: Installation for SAP IGS integrated in SAP Kernel igsexe_16-10003071.sar)

All the rest (SAPK* files), seems to be normal patches that is possible to use spam to update them. Correct?

How to use SPAM/SAINT? What is used in one time, and on others? Do they do the same?

Regards,

Pedro

Edited by: Pedro Taveira on Aug 17, 2010 5:20 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

Some kernel updates (I386 on my case), and my first question is: "How do I update this? Is it safe to be the first thing to be done?" Is it only copy to the Run directory (usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\run)?

As SolMan is a dual stack machine, you can use JSPM to update the kernel. Another way is to extract the Kernel SAR files into the exe\run directory. It is a best practice to update the kernel before the support packages. Take a backup of the existing exe directories before you update the kernel and also pay good attention while downloading the kernel. you need to take care while choosing the correct version of the kernel (either 32 bit or 64 bit and ITANIUM or XEON). If you choose the wrong kernel, then ur SAP system will not come up.

Also a component BC-FES-IGS has some updates, but I don't know what is this and how to update. (it says: Installation for SAP IGS integrated in SAP Kernel igsexe_16-10003071.sar)

Extract the IGS SAR also along with teh kernel files.

All the rest (SAPK* files), seems to be normal patches that is possible to use spam to update them. Correct?

Yes!!! You may have to update the latest SPAM/SAINT (SAPKD700*) before updating the SP's.

How to use SPAM/SAINT? What is used in one time, and on others? Do they do the same?

Support Packs can be updated using SPAM and the add-on upgrades has to be done using SAINT.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

former_member578055
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varadhu!

Thank you very much for your inputs.

-Regarding Kernel

What is JSPM ? If not, is it possible to copy paste to that directory that I've written?

-Regarding IGS

extract and put where? There are some exe files...

-Regarding SPAM/SAINT

Always, run first the SPAM and then SAINT, correct?

the creation of the queue has any rules of "good behaviour"? Is it necessary to create different queues? Or all in one queue?

By the way there are more than 100 objects in my update!

Thank you very much once again!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For easier understanding, JSPM is meant mainly for JAVA related side (similar to SPAM for ABAP), if you are having a dual stack, that would comprise of both ABAP and JAVA stack.

On JSPM usage you may want to have a look at this blog

/people/community.user/blog/2007/06/21/installing-additional-usage-types-on-netweaver-70-as-java-using-jspm

on your query to "Extract the IGS SAR " please have a look in this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/4b/72d43ac66e1f08e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Hope this helps,

Cheers

SH

former_member578055
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi again!

As I've said, I'm doing a update to a Solution Manager server.

After updating SPAM/SAINT, wich runned ok, I was trying to do the upgrade of the Kernel.

I have right now a Kernel Patch Number 111, created on 2007, and I was trying to put the Kernel as in the last level available by SAP.

To determine this, I've runned a maintenance optimizer and selected the last available stack, with kernel Patch, and others.

I've download about 5GB of files, and the kernel ones are something like SAPEXE*. Ive Uncar these files and copied to the location where the similar were (d:\usr\sap\sol\sys\exe\uc\NT386).

After this copy, SOLMAN didn't started. So I've copied again the old files to the same place.

What did I do wrong? Is it necessary to copy any other things? IGS, where is to copy?

Thanks for the inputs!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro

Did you copy only the new kernel file on d:\usr\sap\sol\sys\exe\uc\NT386 ? or Did you copy all the SP that you have downloaded before?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

is your kernall files are matching with ur sytem (like unicode, 32 bit something)

jansi

former_member578055
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Regarding the kernel it is done.

The problems were.

1- Wrong files (SOLMAN downloads Unicode and Non-Unicode Kernel Part I and II, and when I was uncar, it was copying the non-unicode in the last and was wrong)

2- Then, when starting SAP it was giving a error sapcpe not started. It was solved with note 684106.

Now I'm going to continue with support packages.

Using SPAM, Upload to app server (but first copying to EPS/IN directory in server), then creating the queue.

I'll give more info later on...

Thanks!

former_member578055
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Now I'm using SPAM, and after defining a queue and transport, gave the following error

include CRT's

What is this? Which CRT's? Where I can see this?

As far as I understood, the CRT's are related with add ons, what is the process to solve this? Where can I find wich relevant CRT's are necessary to download from marketplace?

I found this, but I don't see anything relevant.

http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/BCUPGOCSSPAM/BCUPGOCSSPAM.pdf

Edited by: Pedro Taveira on Aug 19, 2010 3:27 PM

former_member578055
Participant
0 Kudos

Found it, is on the icon on the top... :S

Thanks!