Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Communication and System User

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I would like to know the difference between the Communication User and System User.

Definition wise, Yes, I know what they are for?

But My doubt is, why do we need a communication user type for RFC connections when we can use a System user.

Why did SAP designed these two types of users?

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hello All,

>

> I would like to know the difference between the Communication User and System User.

>

> Definition wise, Yes, I know what they are for?

>

Can we take this step by step.........you explain to all - what they are for? we will try to understand your thoughts and give the best posible feedback - Deal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sekhar,

This is what I understand about the users.

System Users:

GUI login is not possible.

Initial password and expiration of passowrd are not checked.

Communication

GUI login is not possible.

Users are allowed to change password.

Both of them seem to be similiar for me. So, please help me in understanding the basic difference between these two.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos

Very good answer!

0 Kudos

>

> Hello Sekhar,

>

> Both of them seem to be similiar for me. So, please help me in understanding the basic difference between these two.

>

> Thanks a lot.

C'mon you must be kidding.....the spellings are different - right?

Dont be too lazy and and bank on others to answer.............try using the F1 key, unless your keyboard is seriously damaged and doesnt work or you dont have a keyboard............

0 Kudos

Shekar,

I know you are annoyed but he is New to the group, its okay to point him in the correct direction/ask him to search the Forum.

or use the Function key.

Regards

0 Kudos

It's okay in my books for people to experience the internet as it is and not the way it was individually intended

SU01Solution already solved the problem actually, but there are some very fine peripheral differences still between the user types.

That is why asking a specific question and discussing it's merits / pro's and con's is the best approach and SAP also benefits from it.

Another obvious difference if you do a simple search is that SYSTEM type users cannot issue SAP logon tickets.

There are a few more but as I said these are peripheral and very use-case dependent... so SU01Solution needs to ask a proper and realistic question.

ps: ST01 is not the answer here either...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Here's the information I got using 'F1' help in SU01. I never use 'Communication' users as the password can expire and I don't think there is much difference between the two types of users.

System 'B'

Use the system user type for internal system processes (-> background processing) or system-related processes (-> ALE, workflow, TMS, CUA).

Dialog logon (using SAP GUI) is not possible.

A user of this type is excluded from the general settings for password validity. Only user administrators can change the password using transaction SU01 (Goto -> Change Password).

Multiple logons are permissible.

Communication 'C'

Use users of type Communication for dialog-free communication between systems (-> RFC or CPIC) .

Dialog logon (using SAP GUI) is not possible.

The general settings for the validity period of a password apply to users of this type. Users of this type can change their passwords (like dialog users). The dialogs for changing the password must be provided by the caller (RFC/CPIC client). You can use the RFC function module USR_USER_CHANGE_PASSWORD_RFC or the RFC API function RfcOpenEx() to change the password.