cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a standard process to retire the instance?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all experts,

Now we are migrating the data from one SAP system to another SAP system,so we will not use the prevenient SAP system and need to retire it after migrating, but users maybe need to select the data from the prevenient system when data have issue,so we could only retire the instance step by step.For example,we only give the users display authorization but no creation and modification authorization when users don't use the system and so on. I want to know what we need to do about this situation, do you have standard solution step by step to retire the instance ?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos
but users maybe need to select the data from the prevenient system when data have issue

Define a period for this. For example, in 1 month from now. In my opinion 1 month is long enough timeline to setup the new system perfectly as per needs. After that I would suggest you delete the application and DB on the old instance and use it's hardware resources elsewhere.

For example,we only give the users display authorization but no creation and modification authorization when users don't use the system and so on.

What's the need for limiting authorization on this old instance, since it is already going to be decommisioned soon. I say this because, changing Roles or changing the Roles assigned to all the users could be rather cumbersome and I don't think that's really needed for this old system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

>

but users maybe need to select the data from the prevenient system when data have issue

>

> Define a period for this. For example, in 1 month from now. In my opinion 1 month is long enough timeline to setup the new system perfectly as per needs. After that I would suggest you delete the application and DB on the old instance and use it's hardware resources elsewhere.

>

>

For example,we only give the users display authorization but no creation and modification authorization when users don't use the system and so on.

>

> What's the need for limiting authorization on this old instance, since it is already going to be decommisioned soon. I say this because, changing Roles or changing the Roles assigned to all the users could be rather cumbersome and I don't think that's really needed for this old system.

Thanks for your reply, but others peaple still need to use the old system after the data migration.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by: Michael Hong on Aug 19, 2010 10:23 AM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you are already planning read only access to old system for some time, please stop background jobs like interfaces etc and take care of the RFC connections as mentioned by previuous post.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As such there is no standard procedure but if you want to keep the instance then just lock all the users in that and whenever any user requires any access just unlock that user and give them the display access. Once work will be completed again lock all the users.

Also, remove all the RFC's that might be pointing to some other systems.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> As such there is no standard procedure but if you want to keep the instance then just lock all the users in that and whenever any user requires any access just unlock that user and give them the display access. Once work will be completed again lock all the users.

>

> Also, remove all the RFC's that might be pointing to some other systems.

>

> Thanks

> Sunny

Thanks for your reply, but could you tell me how to remove all the RFC interface and other types of interface step by step ?

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by: Michael Hong on Aug 19, 2010 10:21 AM

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go to SM59 transaction and identify all the RFC's that are pointing to other systems and delete those RFC's.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> Go to SM59 transaction and identify all the RFC's that are pointing to other systems and delete those RFC's.

>

> Thanks

> Sunny

Hi,

Except the RFC's , the SAP system has others types of interface, how to remove them ?

Thanks ,

Michael