Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server 2005 and SAP ECC 6.0

former_member578055
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I work with SAP for quite some time, but not at the DBA level. So I'm a newbie at this...

So I have a question, I have a system like the one in the topic, with three data files, and one log file.

The log file is 180GB!! Is this normal? How can I shrink it? Any procedure by SAP? I was checking but with no results...

The problem is that the disc is only 400GB (the 3 data files has more or less 70GB each), and has only 10GB of free space.

Can you help me?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, please look into:

SAP Note 625546 - Size of transaction log file is too big

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have a transaction log which is in use, meaning it should be regularly backed up.

Currently it has not been backed up and very soon it will consume all available disk space as it continues to grow.

You need disk space to do a backup of the transaction log.

Check if you have any spare disk drive with around 180GB free space.

Or connect an external drive.

Using either of the above take a backup of the transaction log.

You need to retain this backup atleast till the next backup of your database.

Shrinking the transaction log will provide a temporary relief if at all it helps.

Regards,

Rohan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pedro,

I had the same problem - when it was installed, no-one had advised on what to do.

Essentially, you need to shrink the transaction log - I found the easiest way to do this was via the MS SQL Server Management studio on the server. However, you may find that you need to perform a backup first before it will allow you to complete the shrink. If you don't have space on the server itself, you can backup to a network drive

Open the studio, open the relevant server name, then the folder "databases" - you should one with the ID of your SAP instance. Right click on that, then select "shrink" from the popup menu.

When I first did this, it took several attemps before it got down to a sensible level (1 GB) - from memory about 3-4 tries.

Once you have it down to the lowest level that you can get it, you should be able to setup a backup routine that also shrinks the log file once the backup is complete. Ours is done using MS DPM server 2007, which works really well.

Hope that helps

Tony