Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP and JAVA: Different SP Levels

former_member192105
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have a newly installed DEV system for SAP PI7.1 with Ehp1 , the ABAP stack has been upgraded to SP level 5 while JAVA stack is still on basic SP (less than 5).

Now my question is will this SP mis-match cause any impact (no/ low/ medium/ high) on the performance/ working of our SAP PI7.11 system? Will we be able to do the normal development and testing with this SP level difference?

It will be very helpful if there is any document/ blog/ article which deals with such a scenario.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

As per as my knowledge there is no dependency for ABAP and Java engines/versions/service packs. But few features are not available in java as compared to the old version other than that nothing defference even the performance also. But some java versions are not compatable with the ABAP ingines. If those are compatable (working) then there is no defference

Regards

Ramesh

former_member192105
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Ramesh,

Thanks for your comments.

But some java versions are not compatable with the ABAP ingines. If those are 
compatable (working) then there is no defference

Can you please tell me how to check for the compatibility? Since it is a client system we cannot go for try and error method.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you able to open all the screens like ESR, ID and SXMB_MONI,........

If yes then it should be fine no need to check any thing.

If not then we have to check with basis guys based on the error.

Regards

Ramesh

former_member192105
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear,

If yes then it should be fine no need to check any thing.

I found below two threads which indicate that SP level difference can cause an issue (may be while testing/ transporting).

Any more inputs on this topic please.

Thanks.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you check SAP Note [873996|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/873996], it says

Since the Java-based BEx Web application in SAP NetWeaver BI is a software solution that contains both SAP NetWeaver ABAP and NetWeaver Java, the entire NetWeaver 2004s system (that is, ABAP and Java) must be at the same Support Package Stack level and new Support Package Stacks must always be imported simultaneously. Different ABAP and Java Support Package Stack levels are not supported.

PI is also an application that contains both SAP NetWeaver ABAP and NetWeaver Java, so you need to maintain the entire system at the same SP level.

former_member192105
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the reference.

Will try to find if something similar is defined for PI also.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi,

You may need to import the content. Refer to:

#1152640 - SAP NetWeaver 7.1 including EHP 1: Importing ESR content

Regards,

Caio Cagnani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Running the stacks with different SP levels is not a very smart move with PI. You might run into very weird issues and there's no way you can be sure it will work.

I had a problem with Importing of external definitions in ESR, and then realized different SP levels in a previous project, which you would expect to have nothing to do with ABAP stack. The issue got fixed after the Java stack was brought into the same level.

This is just one example. PI is a double-stack system and I don't think even the developers of PI could give you a dependency list across stacks that easily.

Regards

Gokhan