cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equipment repository design pertaining to Class Overview

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am preparing data model for Equipment repository and Equipment classification is a mandatory field to be maintained in MDM.

The issue is Equipment classification has numerous enties and under each entry their is 20-30 characteristic fields for that entry,for example Equipment Classification- Belt_Conveyor has 30 fields which are specific to this type of Equipment and so on and so forth.

I can model these in Taxonomy table with various nodes and specific attributes but question is is it worthwhile to have so many attributes andfields in MDM (approx 2000)

Please help

Regards

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

in above point i would like to mention i.e. to handle this Taxonomy data (Classification Data) seprately during Importing and syndication by creating diffrent map for Taxonomy data and Main Data for relevant field data to improve the performance data integration & repository performance

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jignesh!!

Thanks for very prompt answer!

Kindly provide me detailed way to handle this attribute linkage in taxonomy table and also import for the same.

Please provide any helpful links or documentation.

Thanks

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

Following parameters are considered while designing a taxonomy table in MDM-

1. How many level of parent child categorisation exist? More number of levels and categories is difficult to manage.

2. how many attributes on avg are linked to each category? How often the linkages can change and new attributes(characteristics) can be added?

3. What is the avg number of Attribute Values per characteristics? Avoid more than 1000 values. In such cases they can be promoted as main table lookup or text fields.

You can refer to below best pratices on Taxonomy-

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/60fea38f-1cac-2c10-6092-d3ab4395f...

Best regards-

Ravi Kumar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

is it worthwhile to have so many attributes andfields in MDM (approx 2000)

If you are talking about that in main table a single record would have 2000 (attributes and fields), then i think this should be absolutely avoided. Even, if you look at standard repositories provided by SAP, in main table we usually have 150-300 fields. Don't know the exact figure for fields and attributes but i feel that such a huge data for a single record should be avoided otherwise managing as well as performance issues can come. So please check the sizing guide as per your total number of field & attributes and total number of records which you are going to manage in MDM repository.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Yes, You can create Taxonomy Table & that is the best option as your category---> attributes are dynamic changing

abt your question Many Attributes have field in MDM (Approx 2000)

in taxonomy category link to attributes and its values, so for example if 1 category link to 3 attributes or other attributes may have 10 so in MDM data manager depending upon category will display attributes (infield format and attributes value) for specific records

so i don't think it cause any issue to you

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Edited by: jignesh patel on Aug 16, 2010 2:58 PM