cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Kernel on Drive D: in dual boot Scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to install SAP 4.7 IDES on my system. My system is Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD. This is a dual boot system with Windows 7 on drive C: and Windows Server 2003 (x86/SP2/Enterprise Edition) on drive D:. Drive 😧 has a partition of 50GB for the OS and SAP files. Further I have another partition E: which has a 100GB partition for Oracle. I want to install SAP on the Windows Server 2003 platform, I would like to know if the SAP Kernel can be installed on drive 😧 (where windows is located). Any help in this matter would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Regars,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to install SAP on the Windows Server 2003 platform, 
I would like to know if the SAP Kernel can be installed on drive 😧 (where windows is located)

Against recommendation as mentioned in official Installation Guide, In your personal system, only for testing/training purpose, you can point SAP Kernel path to any free location which is having around 7GB to 10GB free space in your system.

Rest of the information you will find in its concerned Installation Guide and the possible things you can manage within your system if its accommodated.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Bhavik,

Thanks for your quick reply. However this installation is only for learning, so in this case I am planning to install SAP IDES 4.7 Kernel on partition D:. WIndows Server 2003 (Enterprise Edn/SP2/x86) is also installed on partition 😧 and Windows 7 is running on Partition C:. There is more than 30GB free space on drive D:. I have another partition E: which is having about 100GB space for the Oracle files.

I was made to understand that SAP Kernel can only be installed to drive C: and not any other partitions. However if I am not wrong in understanding your reply, I guess I can point the kernal installation to any partition on the PC (in my case Drive 😧 where Windows Server 2003 is installed and running).

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>I was made to understand that SAP Kernel can only be installed to drive C: and not any other partitions

So you were "made" wrong !

All our 50+ SAP systems have the kernel on drive 😧

SAP does not care where the kernel and all other files are even if there are wiser choices in term of I/O performance.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

- R/3 Enterprise 4.7 is already out of support

- R/3 Enterprise 4.7 is not compatible with Windows 7 (same kernel as Windows 2008 R2) --> not supported

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Thanks for your reply. This installation is just for learing purposes. Further I am not planning to install SAP 4.7 on Windows 7, but rather on the second partition in drive 😧 where Windows Server 2003 (Enterprise Edn/SP2/x86) is installed.

Any information or clarification on the issue if SAP IDES 4.7 Kernel can be installed on drive 😧 would be helpful. I was made to understand that SAP kernel can be installed only on drive C: and not on any other drives.

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Any information or clarification on the issue if SAP IDES 4.7 Kernel can be installed on drive 😧 would be helpful. I was made to understand that SAP kernel can be installed only on drive C: and not on any other drives.

It doesn't matter on which drive you install the kernel.

Markus