cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS/MSS limit of concurrent users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to implemantation the ESS/MSS in sap with SOA. I would like to know : How many users will be accessing ESS at the same time? In particular, how many should be the concurrent users ( to do the same activity ) will be accessing ESS , to ensure the server response doesn't deteriorate? ( Side web frontend )

Thanks a lot,

Silvia Sacchi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

so I don't know how many users , somewhere about ,can do the same request (by frontend), the request for which the web application must to demand the access to the same object on sap ERP (by web service SOA ) , this limit depends of my system landscape ?

thansk you..you're very kind

martin_juen2
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi.

i tried to draw a picture with a typical ess scenario. from the browser to the abap backend.

it's not too sharp but i think you will see what i mean.

[ESS Scenario|http://picasaweb.google.at/lh/photo/bHbfx56fo1y3mfo6w2e_Tw?feat=directlink]

You see that you need lots of infrastructure. All parts need - more or less - resources. If there is heavy load you need more cpu and ram (for example adding more server processes on the as java of the portal) but you also have to configure the web dispatchers, the as java, the as abap (icm). Thats the architecture for the ess service. It doesn't help when asking "how many people can call a time sheet on abap". you have to look at all components...

If i were you and i do not know lots about the load i would start conventional (not completely oversized). It's a process to get a well performing system. You always have to make corrections when running productive. thats the job we love :o)))

regards, martin

former_member110461
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Martin says, it is all about your landscape and hardware. It is possible to have this scenario with 20,000 concurrent users (I have implemented and tested this) with the right hardware and landscape configuration. However getting the actual number for a configuration requires performance testing and tuning in order to get it correct.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

In particular, which is the limit of the concurrent users asking for the same Web Service that SOA can handle and what happen if this limit is overtaken (system crash or other?)

thanks a lot,

Silvia.

martin_juen2
Contributor
0 Kudos

the limit depends on your hardware, your system landscape and your system settings. it is impossible to say something like that: "5387 users can have a look at the timesheet at the same time".

sorry, martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I'm sorry but I didn't explain well.

I solved the problem about the number of users connected in the same time at web application. The problem is when this users do the same activity,action . For example my application allows to insert the holidays, the paid leaves for the employes timesheet, so my question is :

How many users can insert holidays in the same time/second ? In the same second how many users can insert the same paid leaves ? to don't shut down the system .

Probably there isn't no limits ! I don't know.

I hope to be explain,

thanks you !!

Silvia.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

In principal there is no limitation - it only depends on your system landscape 🐵

Can you tell me how many users are logged on to the system (at peak times). I think that makes it easier to understand (for me).

regards, Martin

martin_juen2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

Thats a difficult question. There's no cooking recipe which works every time. I think you have to answer your question "how many users will be accessing ESS at the same time". How many employees does your company have? Which scenarios do you use?

With this information you can try to design a system landscape which has enough power to handle you users / requests.

regards, Martin