cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to process a sale for a Software License Key

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Experts,

My company has developed software product which contains license keys. After the sale, the customer later has the option to purchase additional license keys for said product.

My question is how to invoice for the additional license keys? The product will have already shipped so would this sale best be recorded using a DIEN material number? I have thought about using Serial Number functionality, but the problem is that my company will not know the license key the customer wishes to purchase until the customer turns the part on. Once the part number is turned on, then my company will know the license key the customer wishes to purchase.

Do you have suggestions for how the license keys can be invoiced after the sale of the initial product?

Thank you,

Lisa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lisa

I am not sure if you are using SAP Industry Solution (IS) for High Tech Software. The way you posed the question, I am guessing you are not. It is a curious mix of SD, Classification, Variant Config and Instalbase functionalities.

You are on right track, in the module I mentioned above, each license is treated like a Serial Number. To quote SAP help ' In mySAP High Tech Software, a software license is represented by a serial number. It can be created as a line item in a standard sales document. '

And for the additional licenses, I guess you need to add more lines in the existing sales order with the new quantity or create a fresh order. Or use License Bump Processing, see below for documentation link.

I strongly recommend Using IS- High Tech Software ( I don't work for SAP by the way) by negotiating a license 'Bump' deal ( same subject) with SAP and/or borrow the concepts from that module's documentation.

Here is the link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_dimp50/helpdata/EN/10/8d97bff3d611d1aba70000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

Hope this helps.