Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSP and Web-DynPro

priyankaporwal
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have been asking this question to lot of people, but till date I haven't got a satisfactory answer. Could anyone please tell me why web-dynpro came into picture? We already had the BSP technology. Some people told me that its' due to the MVC patterns in Web-DynPro, but BSP also offers MVC architecture.

Could anyone please explain it to me that why Web-DynPro technology is being pushed to fore-front? What is the extra that it offers as compared to BSP?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Best Regards,

Priyanka

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

BSPs like JSPs are programming language specific technologies. Web Dynpro is meta data based. That means that 80 - 90 % (I´ve heard at a SAP presentation) of code is stored as meta data. This meta data can be used with any programming lanuage (Java, ABAP, ...). You have to do only 10%-20% of coding.

When doing Web Dynpro development you do a lot of work declarativly, not by coding like in BSPs or JSPs.

Furthermore there are advanced features like:

- best support of component based development (this feature allows even big development team, spreaded over different locations to work perfectly together)

- model concept which allows you theoretically to integrate arbitrary backend systems via the same interface.

With BSPs or JSPs you have more flexibility concerning the UI of your applications but with Web Dynpro it is easier to write business applications that follow an enterprise CI/CD.

This is only a short description of the Web Dynpro benefits. In the pilot area (I think) there is a presentation from Peter McNulty that describes the concepts and benefits in more detail.

Hope that helps

Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another difference is that Web Dynpro supports not only HTML clients (browsers), but also other devices like mobile or smart clients.

On the other side, with BSP you have deeper access to browser specific things like creating your own HTML renderers etc.

Both programming models have their advantages.

Armin

Answers (0)