cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP won't start up after EHP1 upgrade of Kernel and SPAM/SAINT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Our current system is Enterprise Portal 7.00 and we plan to upgrade it to EHP1. Our first step that has been made was KERNEL and SPAM/SAINT update. after the successful update of KERNEL and SPAM/SAINT to release 701, the next step was to update ABAP stack to EHP1 using SAINT but unfortunately I wasn't able to continue the update due to the prompt message I got which indicates - ABAP stack upgrade should be executed using Enhancement Package Installer (EHPi).

Before going to EHPi Installation, I restarted the system & database BUT the problem is that sap system specfically (disp+work) won't startup after restarting the system/database.

my questions are:

1. Kernel update was done using normal convention: copy paste of the extracted kernel version 701 files in the kernel directory then restart the system.

-is it alright to update kernel to 701 using that process or should i use Enhancement Package Installer in updating the KERNEL?

2. SPAM/SAINT update was done using SPAM transaction by choosing Support Package > Load Packages > From Frontend and so forth.

-is it alright to update SPAM/SAINT using that process to 701or should i use Enhancement Package Installer in updating the SPAM/SAINT?

How can i solve the issue?

3. Should i return the KERNEL to the previous version by restoring the old one?

then restart the system?..But how about the updated SPAM/SAINT? how can i restore it?

Hoping for your answers, Thanks!

Regards,

Tony

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please check the log files to find out what is the error preventing the system from starting.

Check logs under your work directory, check log files such as dev_w*, dev_ms, dev_disp, etc.,

Also check the exe directory under /usr/sap/<SID>/DVEBMGS<nn>, the 'exe' directory under this should be in sync with the exe dir under /sapmnt/<SID>/exe.

If you want the system to be up and running without wasting anytime you can always revert back to th eold kernel.

SPAM/SAINT update cannot be reverted back...they do not have any connection to your system down situation.

Please check the above things and let us know or post the log files so we can help you out.

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Thanks for all the reply, i already solved the issue. ive noticed that in Enterprise Portal, when upgrading it to higher kernel release.. the ports are changing specifically in tnsnames whereas the ports of tnsnames and listener.ora should always in sync or the same, or else the problem will definitely occur.

Regards,

Tony

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Our current system is Enterprise Portal 7.00 and we plan to upgrade it to EHP1. Our first step that has been made was KERNEL and SPAM/SAINT update. after the successful update of KERNEL and SPAM/SAINT to release 701, the next step was to update ABAP stack to EHP1 using SAINT

The first step should be reading the documentation, this will tell you what you need to do in order to prepare the systems for an upgrade. Don't just blindly apply random patches.

It's not possible to update to EHP1 using SPAM, you must use SAPehpi on both ABAP and/or Java systems. You also need a working and configured Solution Manager system where all the to-be-updated systems must be configured.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Tony,

If your SPAM patch level is above patch 34, it forces you use EHPi Tool for Upgrade. Especially in your case you already upgraded your SPAM to 701 level, which is definely higher than patch 34 of 70 version.

Two choices:

1. Use EHPi tool to complete the upgrade as suggested (recommeneded)

2. Restore the system to prior applying to SPAM upgrade and start the upgrade via SPAM

Hope this helps,

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

When upgrading to EHP1 you need to use Enhancement Pack Installer. It will take care of your kernel and everything else.

For SPAM you can upgrade your current version which is 7.0 to the latest and greatest. You need to include SPAM 7.01 as part of your EHP1 installation.

I will say restore the system from the backup,restore back the old kernel, Upgrade SPAM to version 7.00/xxxx and then start Enhancement Pack Installer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed