cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLAP query returning "name" rather than "key" attribute for a dimension

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am busy with a project that involves drawing data from an OLAP cube (in SAP BW), then transforming and contextualising for use in an EMI environment. The project runs on MII 12.1.

The standard OLAP connector and OLAP queries have been used (would prefer not to go the route of creating a call to the OLAP XMLA web service directly). One of the important dimensions is returned as a name (descriptive text) rather than a key (the cost element code itself), preventing us from reliably applying business rules to classify cost elements. Categorising cost elements based on their text descriptions is not a sustainable solution.

The output needs to allow for two dimensions (cost element and an equipment identifier) against which individual cost values will be listed. It appears that the two dimensions must both be on the "x-axis", as result columns are automatically renamed, e.g. C000001, C000002, etc. If anyone knows of a way to suppress this renaming behaviour, please let me know.

Is it possible to force the "key" attribute to be returned instead of the "name" attribute? I have identified two preferred options:

1. MDX syntax of the query itself

2. configuration of the OLAP connector

I have not found a way to do this through MDX syntax, but would welcome any suggestions.

Alternatively, perhaps there is a non-standard way of configuring the OLAP connector so that the key rather than the name attribute is returned for all dimensions. Has anyone anything, e.g. chosen a non-standard ColumnNameAttribute or DataTypeAttribute, in this regard?

Thanks,

Marc Chaplin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>Apologies for the formatting above</b>

Part 1:

Hello,

I am busy with a project that involves drawing data from an OLAP cube (in SAP BW), then transforming and contextualising for use in an EMI environment. The project runs on MII 12.1.

The standard OLAP connector and OLAP queries have been used (would prefer not to go the route of creating a call to the OLAP XMLA web service directly). One of the important dimensions is returned as a name (descriptive text) rather than a key (the cost element code itself), preventing us from reliably applying business rules to classify cost elements. Categorising cost elements based on their text descriptions is not a sustainable solution.

The output needs to allow for two dimensions (cost element and an equipment identifier) against which individual cost values will be listed. It appears that the two dimensions must both be on the <i>x-axis</i>, as result columns are automatically renamed, e.g. C000001, C000002, etc. If anyone knows of a way to suppress this renaming behaviour, please let me know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>Part 2:</b>

Is it possible to force the <i>key</i> attribute to be returned instead of the <i>name</i> attribute? I have identified two preferred options:

(1) MDX syntax of the query itself; <b>OR</b>

(2) config of the OLAP connector.

1) I have not found a way to do this through MDX syntax, but would welcome any suggestions.

2) Perhaps there is a non-standard way of configuring the OLAP connector so that the key rather than the name attribute is returned for all dimensions. Has anyone anything, e.g. chosen a non-standard value of ColumnNameAttribute or DataTypeAttribute, in this regard?

Thanks,

Marc Chaplin