cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle dataguard implementation with same hostname

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I need to built Oracle DG on my DR server. However, both the servers have the same hostname.

Can this work? My DR currently is a COLD DR server.

Thank you in advance.

-IA

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to built Oracle DG on my DR server. However, both the servers have the same hostname.

Can this work?

Probably NOT...

Because in SAP, you should use HOSTNAME instead of IP Address for every configuration. So for example, LISTENER service configuration we use hostname for the server. If the Hostname is same for both PRD and DR they will not be able to communicate each other.

Although not recommended, but In UNIX system you can keep the hostname same for PRD and DR but at configuration part, you should use IP Addresses instead of Hostname.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear nazir,

if both server have same name then your landscape will be disturb due to hostname conflict, so you have to give unique hostname for each server because i have already faced this issue.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Majamil,

I managed to create an alias hostname for my server.Now both system can communicate. Thanks.

However, I am having issue whereby both my DBSID are the same. In Oracle10, we can define parameter DB_UNIQUE_NAME not in Oracle 9i. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

IA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My problem is solved. For the same hostname, I created an alias hostname for my standby server.

As for the DB name, user services_name instead of DB_UNIQUE_NAME id the pfile / spfile

Cheers,

IA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly, that will be a problem in the time of Communication to other system Logical System.

That will create IP conflict problem between the servers.