cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM 5.5 : mds not starting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

After doing a password change of db2sid, I am not able to start the mds but could only start mdis.

$ ps -ef | grep mdis

mddadm 19035 19033 0 14:32:41 pts/0 0:00 /sapmnt/MDD/bin/mdis-r

mddadm 19033 1 0 14:32:41 pts/0 0:00 /usr/bin/sh /sapmnt/MDD/bin/mdis start

mddadm 19540 19465 0 14:50:21 pts/0 0:00 grep mdis

$ ps -ef | grep mds

mddadm 19543 19465 1 14:50:23 pts/0 0:00 grep mds

$ mds start

starting mds

Sending info to nohup.out ...

$ ps -ef | grep mds

mddadm 19570 19465 1 14:50:28 pts/0 0:00 grep mds

When I checked the nohup.out file. below is the error I could see.

Program is now exiting ...

bind() failed in ConnectionAcceptor::ConnectionAcceptor() with errno=e2 'Address already in use'Initialization failed, error code = 0x83000104

Ending: /sapmnt/MDD/bin/mds-r (rc=255) - Fri Aug 6 14:50:26 BST 2010

Please let me know if anyone has faced this kind of issue. Only way to fix this issue might be reboot the OS. Is there any alternative way ?

Regards,

Manje

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manje,

i faced similar kind of error, as per log details it seem mds server unable to initialize database

i would suggest first check the mds server and database connectivity

i your connectivity is proper then create new linkage file in which it will contain all path setting because sometime linkage file get corrupt

is your database install on same server or different server ???

hope this will resolved your problem if not revert back

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manje,

On Unix in some cases after stopping mds it can take about 10 minutes to restart. If you try a restart too soon you get the 'address already in use' or 'port already in use' message because it takes that long to free up the ports. You can execute command "netstat -a | grep FIN_WAIT_2" on the server. If you see any process then you may have to wait for those to clear before mds can be restarted. See Note 1112862.

We always start mds first, then mdis and finally mdss. We shut them down in reverse order; mdss first, them mdis and finally mds.

WL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wayne,

Actually I have already read that note but it's little bit confusing.

If I search for FIN_WAIT_2, there are many processes which are being used by other systems.

And also in the note SAP has mentioned about the port 20005. Any Idea about this ?

I see only 2 processes are using 20005 & FIN_WAIT_2. How can we manually remove these processes ?

Regards,

Manje

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manje,

And also in the note SAP has mentioned about the port 20005

20005 is the Standard default (MDS) port of MDM Server.

I see only 2 processes are using 20005 & FIN_WAIT_2. How can we manually remove these processes ?

Can you clear the port and kill the processes using this port. kill <pid>

Just check and revert if it helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manje,

Do the FIN_WAIT_2 processes clear out after about 10 minutes? On our systems these ports clear out within about 10 minutes and we are able to restart mds OK. There is a way to manually clean these up but we have not had to do that because the OS clears them after they timeout.

We just wait about 10 minutes for the ports to clear and restart.

WL