cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause active job

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus.

Is it possible to pause an active job? Some of our jobs take a long time to run. We want to pause them to enable freeing the processes for some other jobs.

I know we can capture it, but that does not free the process which we want.

Using CMS, is it possible?

Thanks in adv.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We want to pause them to enable freeing the processes for some other jobs

Get an additional dialog instance 😄

Regards

Juan

o_shaw
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I can think of one reason why suspending an SAP job would be useful.

1. When two jobs are using the same table objects. One updating the other only reading thereby affecting the performance of both jobs. Being able to Suspend one of the jobs until the update is finished would be very useful indeed.

Something to think about at SAP.

Regards,

Owen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is it possible to pause an active job?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that active jobs could be either updating or deleting data and as such have locks on various tables. To be able to pause a job and free up the process there would have to be some way to remove those locks which wouldn't be such a good idea if you want to maintain consistent data. There is no mechanism in place to manage this.

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nelis.

I read that there is one report to put the job status to "Rescheduled due to upgrade" - BTCTRNS1.

Can I use this report to achieve my objective, or it is not the correct way?

Does not the new CPS (Redwood) offer such a feature to pause active job?

Thanks again in adv.

Former Member
0 Kudos

BTCTRNS1 will change the status of jobs that have already been released. Released jobs will have a suspended status or cancelled for upgrade. It will not work for Active Jobs.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

On unix you can send a suspend signal to the workprocess. Or you stop the job using the abap debugger.

BUT you cannot free the workprocess to do anything else, the process will be blocked. So as far as i know, there is no way to do what you want.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the replies.

So it seems that the new scheduler (CPS / Redwood) does not offer any such feature too, right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No Redwood does not have any feature to pause an active job.

Thanks,

Naveed

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Aishi,

Redwood can only offer features that built into SAP (although with a powerful interface). As everyone has been saying above, there is no way you can suspend jobs which are in active state.

Regards,

Siddhesh