Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to have authorization on single field in material master

kevin_mcpeek
Explorer
0 Kudos

Good afternoon,

We are looking to implement an authorization on a single field(s) in the material master MRP1 view. I have several different options that I can think of using can you please provide me with your thoughts, pro's or con's, and any other suggestions you may have for us to use?

1. Create custom program and z transaction code to change the field(s) in the material master that need to be changed and assign the transaction to a new role and then assign user(s) to the new role.

2. Create new authorization object(s) for the field(s) in the material master and have ABAP programmer add code to user exit in material master to check authorization object(s).

3. Use GUIxT to change field to display only for user. I have not used GUIxT before so this would be new to us as company.

4. Use transaction variant in SHD0 to have field(s) to be display only for users, but this would affect all users if I am correct?

Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Once we've done similar thing. A simple custom transaction that allowed to change a restricted subset of attributes. It works nice but it requires more custom development.

2) There is BADI BADI_MATERIAL_CHECK which you can try to use. You can display an error message that user is not authorized to change field X. You might be able to hide that field using enhancement framework.

3) Don't use GUIxT. It adds another layer of complexity.

4) You can create a variant group and assigned users to it. Only users from this group. I don't like this because you have to maintain user assignment in additional transaction.

I agree with Franklin about priorities.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

priority 1: option 2 ( from your list )

Priority 2: Option 1 ( from your list )

Edited by: Franklin Jayasim on Aug 5, 2010 9:46 PM

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Once we've done similar thing. A simple custom transaction that allowed to change a restricted subset of attributes. It works nice but it requires more custom development.

2) There is BADI BADI_MATERIAL_CHECK which you can try to use. You can display an error message that user is not authorized to change field X. You might be able to hide that field using enhancement framework.

3) Don't use GUIxT. It adds another layer of complexity.

4) You can create a variant group and assigned users to it. Only users from this group. I don't like this because you have to maintain user assignment in additional transaction.

I agree with Franklin about priorities.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kevin,

My vote goes for ; Option 2.

Thanks,

Sri