Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample transferred between Storage locations

yuan_cao
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I'm just got involved in QM recently. And I'm facing a problem which I don't know how to resolve it...

Well, my client has a 3rd party warehouse, which is 30 KM away from its own manufacturing plant. The packing materials my client buys are shipped to the 3rd party warehouse and stored there before they are required by production. When the packing materials are received, the 3rd party warehouse does the sampling and send the samples to my client for inspection.

The WM guy on my project is going to set the 3rd party warehouse as a storage location belonging to the my client's manufacturing plant.

Based on this...my question is:

1. By using inspection type "01", the materials are posted to "Inspection Stock" when doing GR. As far as I know, the inspection lot as a whole is able to post transfer from storage location to storage location. But how can I handle tranfering the samples? The quantity is too big to ignore from IM point of view..

2. The 3rd party warehouse is not authorized to unpack the box containing the packing materials. So when they do sampling, they just pick the whole packs which cover the sample size and send them for inspection. The inspecton guys then unpack the box, do the actual sampling and send the remainings back to the 3rd party warehouse...How can I set the system to support such kind of business?

I'm stuch here for couple of days...I am really looking forward for any help or hints....

Thanks.

Yuan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

yuan_cao
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks SujitSND and ram. You've threw some insights to me..

I and the WM guy on my project came up with a similiar solution as ram suggested. But we prefer to get this done at IM level, because we've set up a particular storage location for inspection/sampe reserves. We suppose the users prefer to check only this storage location and not to touch WM...

That's why we're looking more deeply for fulfilling this requirement...But it seems there is no a straightfoward way to reach there...

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your WM person should be able to set it up so that TO's are automatically confirmed for these samples. Especially since they have their own inspection lot.

Since the warehouse is done as a storage location and you want a pure IM way to deal with this, you could try the following.

Have the full quantity being inspected transferred to the storage location being used for inspection. Set this up as none WM. Use a custom material movement for this and use an 08 inspection type. Deactivate other movement types that use the 08 and activate the custom one.

Set your sampling procedure correctly for sampling qty. If neccesary set your characteristics as destructive so that protion of the sample qty is removed from inventory. Upon completion of the inspection lot, the material is posted back to the original WM storage location in the UD. (you can setup some usesr exits to check and verify that the techs do this). Or have the material posted to unresticted and use a UD follow-up action to move the material back to original WM location.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best way to handle the samples through WM, check with your WM consultant on the QM - WM interface for sample handling.

through QM u2013 WM interface, you have an option to post sample to a separate inspection sample bin. The system will create two separate TOu2019s for the sample qty and the main lot qty, Once inspection is completed, during UD we can post the sample qty along with the main lot qty to either un restricted or blocked and move it to the required storage location thru IM movements as the qty will be out of quality hold.

I have implemented this functionality we created a position in WM called "sample" located close to the inspection area and all the samples were automatically sent to this position - BUT in the same Storage location. In other words, we split the storage location and created phisically and virtually a position.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

1.When inspection lot 01 is created post the Qty In sample tab of stock posting.From here you can inspect the material in WM & then bring back the material to Unrestricted.

OR

2.Put all qty to unrestricted.Then Use MB1b---->Stock transfer to storage location.->311 mvt type to storage location in QM

Activate 08 inspection type & then do Result recording & UD

I hope this conceptually add some value