cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web DynPro Versioning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a system to include in the HTML of the web dynpro a comment in which to put in a number or string that represent the current version/changeset number/last modification date of the web Dynpro.

I need this "trick" because sometimes the transport of the activities does not go as expected and Web DynPros are not properly updated. Sometimes the changes between two consecutive versions are not GUI changes but code changes and there is no way to see at a glance if the transport completed successfully.

Any ideas how to do this?

Thank you,

Pietro

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro,

I think you can use this work-around:

1.Add a TextView say 'Comment' to the bottom of your screen.

2.Set the visibility to 'blank' . Do not use 'none'

3.You can use this textview to add your comments every time you make changes

e.g. Comment : Last Changed by Pietro on August 5,2010. Added an InputField and changed the logic in Component Controller.

After you deploy your application, the textview won't be visible to your end-users;however, you can right click the application screen in the browser and view it's html source. There you can search for the TextView id or say "Pietro" or any term in your comments and you'll find your comment.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ajay,

this is a good start. Is there a way to get the Web DynPro Build Number or Last Build Date with a method call in order to embed it automatically in the hidden InputField?

I'm looking to have something like this:

... wdModifyView (...) {
wdContext. ... .setHiddenInputFieldContent(SAPProjectProperties.getBuildNumber());
}

In this way I could track all the changes that are made on the web dynpro without having to modify manually the view component every time.

Thank you,

Pietro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro,

If the build number is generated at all, it will be after your view is built i.e. compiled. In that case the method you are looking for will also be compiled and will be part of that build itself. How will you be able to get something in the code which gets generated after the same code is compiled. Makes sense?

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

if Netweaver keeps track of the current build number (i.e., a version number that is incremented by 1 every time the Web DynPro is built) and stores it as a special readable property or even as a number written in a plain text file, it still will be possible to read and display it. The important thing is that this number is incremented automatically by Netweaver and that is indicative of the "current version" of the Web DynPro (i.e. the 276-times-built Web DynPro is an older version in respect to the 321-times-built same Web DynPro).

So if I transport version 222 and then I build the WDP three times locally and transport it again, the "build number file/property" now reads 225 and the method embedded in the code is still the same ("read the number in that file/property and show it").

I hope that explains what I meant.

A number like that, if Netweaver uses or creates it, is the simplest way to see what "version" a Web DynPro is. Alternatively the last build date should do the same trick. The problem is that I need to get, in the code, some sort of "marker" that Netweaver uses to keep track of the version of the Web DynPro.

Regards,

Pietro

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

(Closing due to inactivity)