cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing SAP via a WebGUI

Former Member
0 Kudos

We shall be teaching a SAP-related course to the students who are registered for a Masters degree by u2018distance learningu2019. In other words, these students do not actually visit the University classrooms but they get their course material on-line, instead. Does any University in the UK or elsewhere use a Web based SAPGUI for some of their students (such as our distance-learning students) and, if so, do you have any problems with this mode of access?

Your reply will be highly appreciated!

Ann Hou

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

At the UWM UCC in extreme cases we use ITS (Internet Transaction Server) which is web based, but you lose functionality compared to the SAPGUI and the menu paths are varied with no consistent mapping of changes, I have not taken the time to map out what those losses are. We usually only recommend or use the ITS portion for extreme cases where SAPGUI is not installed or cannot be installed.

We do however have plenty of customers that are teaching in a similar manner (where many students are remote and the class is taught online) where SAPGUI is used as the method of doing exercises. With the latest releases of SAPGUI 7.1C4 and 7.2C1, there is a tool provided to trim the fat of the SAPGUI software. I now distribute SAPGUI in a single file installer that contains SAPGUI, BI tools, KW tools, and all patches to bring it up to date in a 182MB file. Your university should have a method to distribute files and the students can obtain it from there along with the instructions to install it.

I would speak with your UCC directly to ascertain if these methods are available to you.