cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCo 2.1.8 compatibility when upgrade SAP 4.6C to ECC6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm currently using JCo 2.1.8 in my Java application and it is only Java1.4. If the backend SAP system has to be upgraded from 4.6C to ECC6.0, is it necessary to upgrade JCo from 2.1.8 to 3.0.4? If yes, any code change required and what are the necessary steps? What are the advantages?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

A further question:

If I'm using the SAP Enterprise Connector in SAP Netweaver Developer Studio 7.0.15 to generate the BAPI proxies. After the upgrade, are the BAPI proxies need to be regenerated? Will there be any impact//changes to the BAPI structures or BAPI proxies resulting from the upgrade? Can I assume actually nothing need to be done on Java application side if the SAP upgrade from 4.6C to ECC6.0?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

JCo is using the RFC protocol which is compatible over the different SAP AS ABAP system releases. All JCo versions and patch levels are capable of communicating with SAP AS ABAP systems back to release 3.1I. So you don't have to update JCo but I recommend to update to the latest patch level 2.1.9 nevertheless.

As this is the most common installation error on WIndows please be aware that you also need a certain minimum patch level of the Microsoft Visual C/C++ runtime libraries as a prerequisite (please see note 684106).

Regarding the proxy classes I also recommend to regenerate them with the new release. I assume that some Remote Function Interfaces that you use might have changed or extended. Besides this, it is always necessarry to regenerate the proxies if you created them using a non-unicode AS ABAP system and you are now switching to a unicode system.

Upgrading to the JCo 3.0 release should be the mid- to long-term goal for anyone since the maintenance and support period for JCo 2.1 will end on 03/31/2013. JCo 3.0 has lots of advantages over 2.1 but needs a significant amount of migration work to be done. The JCo 3.0 has changed incompatibly compared to previous versions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Because the link in my previous posting is not accepted (seems to be a board software bug), here it is once again:

[SAP note 684106|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/684106]

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Stefan,

Thanks for the info. I have another question on the SAP Enterprise Connector for BAPI proxies generation and had posted a question on another thread - [JCO compatibility during upgrade of 4.6C to ECC6.0|;.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.