Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant Configuration

former_member763498
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a requirement from my business-

In the variant configuration, a characterstic should only appear if the value of a particular characteristic is 'Y'. I achieved this by writing simple dependency- specified. But the problem is that the business wants the hidden characterictic to be a mandatory or required entry. If I try and make the hidden characteristic as mandatory then it I have a problem because it will always seek a value for that chracteristic regardless of the entry of the dependent characteristic.

How can i achieve this?

Regards

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ashish

You can hide or display a characteristic using structure SCREEN_DEP. Have you tried it?

See this link: http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/92/58c7c5417011d189ec0000e81ddfac/frameset.htm

You can also set a default value to the so called Hidden characteristic as a place holder and then use your other procedure to display it so that the user can change it as needed. You can set the default value in the characteristic itself or using 'set default' value as described in the link below.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/92/58c2eb417011d189ec0000e81ddfac/frameset.htm

Hope this helps. Let me know.

former_member763498
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Chandra. Let me work on these syntaxed. I wil lrevert to you.

Regards

Ashish

former_member763498
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can hide the characteristic now. But now how will I make it mandatory at the same time. If I tick the indicator entry required then I will have a problem.

Please suggest

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashish

By saying ' I can hide the characteristic now', I am guessing you used screen_Dep. Did you make it mandatory and test it in sales order? You can't leave it unassigned, Is that not the expected behavior? Like Navaneetha said it is a kind of contradiction in the expectations?

May be it is an issue of interpretation. May be the users want it to have value if the lead characteristic has a value of yes. What I mean is that there may be no need to hide after all.

What kind of characteristic is this? Numeric or character data type? Does it have allowed values set up in CT04. How are values set for it- via dependency or user's choice. Is it possible to set up with a default value- most likely case?

One more option.

Set the char to 'No display' in the Addl data - Procedure for value assignment. And in the Basic data, check 'entry required'. And use screen_dep to make it 'visible' if the lead characteristic is yes. Try this and see what happens.

One more thing- the order in which the dependencies are executed ( as set up in config profile- CU42) also matters.

I don't want you to go there but consider this OSS note:

961910 - Mandatory characteristics and preconditions

former_member763498
Participant
0 Kudos

Its a char type of character. It does not have any value. Client wishes to enter in sales order as a free text.

I tired as you suggested but I guess when you say entry required you cant escape the configuration w/o entering a value.

I dont see any standard way of achoeving this.

Regards

Ashish

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashish,

You can resolve this by creating a selection condition and assigning it to the characteristic.

Ex. When CharA = 'Y'

then CharB shows up on the screen. This is achieved using the precondition which you have already written.

Next, create a selection condition depedency CharA = 'Y'.

Assign the depedency to the charB, this will make CharB mandatory when CharA has value 'Y'.

Hope this helps!

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

The characteristics are hidden only if the value of the characteristic depends on the value of some other characteristics and the hence there is no need for the user to select the value of the characteristic. In scenarios where the user has to select the value of the char, the characteristic should not be hidden.

So you decide whether your characteristic should be hidden or not.

If not hidden, then you can mention a precondition that the characteristic shoudl be displayed only if the value of other characteristic is X by means a dependency. This is fine. And once the characteristic is visible, the value can be selected. Also because this characteristic is mandatory, ur char based on which this characteristic is visible should always have the value of X. You can think of this scenario and you can automatically populate the value of that characteristic as X.

If hidden, you should assign a value automatically to this characteristic based on the value of other characteristic. This can be enabled by means of select option or procedure dependencies. You should explore the options based on your business reqmt.

Hope this answers the question. If you have any more doubts, pls let us k now.

former_member763498
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me work on this. I wil revert to you once I am done.

Regards

Ashish