cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multipple Data Source - Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a situation where I have to extract data for the report from multiple data sources. Some of my data resides in a BW Cube , some from UDB Table and Flat File. My report needs information combined from all the above data sources, Also I have to do a drill down on a summary and should go to the specific group of data for its detail origin. Could anyone tell me the best option or suggest a new option?

Option 1:

Create individual universes from each data source and link the universe to create the summarized report. On detail jump to specific universe.

Option 2:

Bring Flt File and the UDB data to the BW and put them in a separate DSO, then consolidate (most likely in to a cube) and create a query n top of the data. Upon drill down jusmp to a specific target.

Please suggest the better approach, and also do not want to run into any performance related issues down the line as the volumns grow faster in my organization.

Thanks,

Arthur.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Option 2 is much better. As this is only one time job and you can have single universe, on top of this universe you can have n number of reports.

But if you have 1 or 2 reports only you can go with Option 1 also.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To link more than one universe all of them have to have the same connection.

to solve your issue, i think you need to read more about Business Objects DATA FEDERATOR

which allows you to integrate data and create one virtual data source from different data sources

its really helpfull in your case.

your Option 2 i think is still valid, integrate all the information into BW and create one OLAP universe

good luck

Amr