cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virtual machine take too much time to start on vmware

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,

i have install Windows 2003 enterprise and SOLMAN on vmware with 3 gb of ram assign to the virtual machine .

when i start the virtual machine it takes 15 to 20 min to start . can any one tell me the solution for this .

thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

no

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use 64bit for your guest and host OS, it'll make some difference.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Grewal77

You have not clearly posted when is your system responding very slow,

Is it when the SolMan starts or is it when the Win2k3 boots up in VMWare?

In 1st case do as you are already advised as above

In 2nd case check the Event Viewer, is there any process, exe getting error while execution/initialization? In task manager check what processes is eating up the max memory with the amount.

Other ways, I believe that only 1 CPU might also be the bottleneck for slow processing. Win 2k3 used to start up loads of services and a low processing power indeed is a bottleneck.

Also I dont think in 2nd case RAM has any thing to do with as I believe there are no such installed software that hogs loads of RAM and most of the time more than 2.25GB should be available.

However if you have HOST then check HOST does not eats up while starting the VMWare or the while powering the Virtual Machine.

Regards,

T.D.

-ADIOS

Former Member
0 Kudos
Well I tried the same thing. But unfortunately I did a corrupted installation.

But I assigned 12GB of virtual memory for the VMWARE WIN 2003 SERV OS and I installed it on WIN 7 32 BIT HOME PREMIUM and set the virtual memory to 15GB and assigned 2 CPUS.

The main problem you are facing is maybe because of you forgot to install VMWARE tools or had a corrupted installation. I had the same problem. Also try to keep the screen resolution to a minimum of 800*600. I suggest you to reinstall the VMware tools once again and give it a shot.

Just wanted to add that I reinstalled successfully and its running really good.

Hope this helps and good luck

Anirban

Edited by: santra.anirban on Sep 20, 2010 2:18 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But I assigned 12GB of virtual memory for the VMWARE WIN 2003 SERV OS and I installed it on WIN 7 32 BIT HOME PREMIUM and set the virtual memory to 15GB and assigned 2 CPUS.

You have 12 GB physical memory available? To perform properly that memory but me existant. If it's not the system will just use swapping which is very very very slow in a virtual machine.

Solution Manager is a server system and is not suited to be run on laptops.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

How many vCPU does your VM have? Is your system dual stack ABAP+JAVA? When the system is starting what is the CPU utilization? When JAVA starts and loads all of the deployed apps it requires a lot of CPU. Chances are the 1 vCPU is pinned at 100% which is causing the long startup time.

Regards,

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

1 CPU assigned for Vmware and yes, there is ABAP + JAVA on this solution manager.

now what i understand from u friends that i have to increase RAM , there is no other way to make it little bit faster beside ram.

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would run Performance Monitor on your server and make sure you have counters for paging, memory, cpu etc and monitor the system.

Solman does take some time to startup normally but if it's requiring more memory that you don't have, then you should see a lot of paging. Having said that, startup performance shouldn't be your concern, it's how the system performs for you after it has started that you should be worrying about.

Nelis

xymanuel
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Grewall,

you have another Problem now. You installed with 1 vCPU. If you assign now more vCPUs, then Windows have to change the HAL. This is probably working but we had unexpected Problems after doing this. After reeinstall Windows with 2 CPUs everything was working fine.

Our Solman is running with 16GB RAM, which is the minimun to work "normal".

Kind Regards

Manuel

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

3 GB of memory for Solution Manager ?

3GB is the very minimum required for the Central Instance(8GB recommended), then there is the Database and the Central Services Instance.

My guess is it's taking so long to start because it's paging excessively ? The type of hardware you have, the way you have configured your VM host pools etc will also naturally have an effect which is something you did not mention.

Nelis