cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEx/BW 3.5 with Office 2010

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We will soon upgrade configurations to Windows 7 and Office 2010.

I am just an admin and I try to know now the impacts on users using BEx 3.5 (our BW servers are still running on BW 3.5).

I have read that users should run SAP GUI 7.20 to make BEx work with Office 2010.

Is that correct ?

Users currently run on SAP GUI 7.10 and I have also read that there is a Technical Match between SAP GUI 7.10 FEP 9 and SAP GUI 7.20 FEP 1.

What does that mean ? Could users run BEx with Office 2010 by keeping SAP GUI 7.10 ?

This question is important for us as deploying SAP GUI 7.20 on all users' PCs would be a big job.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188011
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John:

Please refer to SAP Note 1461046 - "SAPBWNews NW2004 / BW 3.5 Add-On FrontEnd Patch 01 - GUI7.20"

Regards,

Francisco Milán.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your help !

Is there also a list of prerequisites to install this BEx 3.5 with SAP GUI 7.20, like Microsoft .NET Framework or other things ?

Is SAP GUI 7.20 Patch 1 enough to run BEx 3.5 with SAP GUI 7.20 ?

Are there already a patch level for Office 2010 to reduce bugs with BEx 3.5 ?

Regards,

John

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John

There is an OSS Note regarding the pre-requisites for SAP GUI.

However I have my own checklist of software required for a PC/Laptop regardless whether SAP GUI is installed or not:

1. Latest patches/updates for Microsoft Operating System, i.e for Vista/Windows

2. Latest patches/updates for Microsoft Office, i.e for 2007/2010

3. Latest patches/updates for Microsoft .NET Framework (2.0, 3.0, 3.5)

4. Latest patches/updates for Microsoft J# .NET 2.0 Runtime (if working with SAP BW Precalculation Service for compressing workbooks)

5. Latest patches/updates for Microsoft XML Parser 4 or later

6. Latest patches/updates for Adobe Acrobat Reader (preferably above 9.3.0)

7. Latest patches/updates for Adobe Flash Player (preferably above 10.2.0)

8. Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0 or later (Currently Visual Composer uses this Adobe SVG and in BW 7.3 will by replaced by Microsoft Silverlight - see related blog /people/yariv.zur/blog/2010/02/17/oh-the-pretty-colors)

9. Microsoft Silverlight 2.0 or later

With Office 2010, I have delayed implementing SAP GUI 720 until December 2010 to allow for SAP to stabilize the new GUI. The main reasons is that in 2007 with Vista + SAP GUI 710 + Office 2007 I have a lot of problems which was only resolved with patches but one had to go through 6 months of issues before having this all sorted. So I now apply a waiting period of 6 months from date of release before rolling out the new GUI to users - rather have an extensive test cycle.

The following patch levels for SAP GUI 720 are as follows:

- GUI - Patch level 1 (although some issues have been reported which will be resolved with the next patch)

- BW 3.5 Add-on Patch Level 2

- BI/BW 720 Add-on Patch Level 101

Regards

Derek

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John

Also check OSS Note 1435326 - Usage of transaction RRMX / precalc server with SAP Gui 7.20, as there was a change in the RFC library for SAP GUI 720. This requires a front-end patch as well as back-end patch.

You can also find the SDN forum for SAP GUI at

As per SAP's relevant OSS Notes, Office 2010 is only supported on SAP GUI 720.

Regards

Derek

former_member186696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Customer,

You to install the entire front end tools version 7.20 (even the SAPGUI 7.20).

I suggest you to do a test before a roll-out to all workstations.

Please, review the note 1410878.

Kind regards,

Edward John